This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.237 / 54°14'13"N
Longitude: -1.2606 / 1°15'38"W
OS Eastings: 448290
OS Northings: 482620
OS Grid: SE482826
Mapcode National: GBR MMMF.WX
Mapcode Global: WHD8J.LRXP
Entry Name: Sutton Hall
Listing Date: 1 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1315169
English Heritage Legacy ID: 332570
Location: Sutton-under-Whitestonecliffe, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO7
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Sutton-under-Whitestonecliffe
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SUTTON-UNDER-WHITESTONECLIFFE MAIN STREET
SE 4882 - 4982
10/36 SUTTON HALL
House, now with time-share apartments. 1700 with C19 alterations, early C20
enlargements, and alterations 1960s and 1980s. Brown sandstone ashlar with grey
ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof. 2 Storeys, 3:2:3:2 bays. In classical
style. Chamfered plinth; rusticated quoins; cavelto-moulded architraves; lst-
floor and eaves bands; modillion cornice. Symmetrical 7-bay facade with 2
central bays recessed and 3-bay block projecting forward on left. 7-bay block
has central C20 glazed door with glazing bars and overlight in eaved architrave
with keystone and pulvinated frieze inside added pedimented porch with similar
architrave. Above it on 1st floor is a keyed bulls-eye window. Left-hand block
has steps up to central French window. Windows are 18-pane sashes apart from
the C20 18-pane casements flanking porch and the unequally-hung 15-pane sashes
on the ground-floor of bays 4 and 5 and 9 and 10. Hipped roofs with rendered
stacks. Right return: 4 bays. Truncated ballroom on right, which formerly
projected forward, now has a projecting ground-floor bay with 2 tall
unequally-hung 15-pane sashes in keyed architraves, and above it a French window
and 12-pane sash. The central bays each have a doorway with architraved window
above. The left bay has a projecting bay to each floor, smaller on 1st floor,
with Tuscan pilasters and two 12-pane sashes to each floor.
Interior: the 7-bay block has in the ballroom (rear right) an
egg-and-dart-moulded dado rail, C18 Adamesque palmette frieze to two walls, a
Venetian-style niche with decorative-panelled cupboards below glass-fronted
cabinets; and a panel-soffited beam; the central entrance and stair hall has a
wooden open-string stair with ramped moulded handrail, fluted newel and 2 carved
balusters per tread, the balustrade continuing across lst-floor gallery; the
front rooms to either side on each floor have panelled dados and wall panelling,
the lst-floor right-hand room having fluted pilasters supporting the moulded
cornice and a bolection-moulded fireplace surroun to a later cast-iron
The house was the seat of the Smyth family until 1766 when they acquired Kirby
Knowle Castle (New Building), Kirby Knowle (q.v.).
W. Grainge, The Vale of Mowbray: an historical and topographical account of
Thirsk and its Neighbourhood (1859), p.220.
History held at Sutton Hall.
Listing NGR: SE4829082620
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings