History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sutton Under Whitestonecliff Methodist Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Sutton-under-Whitestonecliffe, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2356 / 54°14'8"N

Longitude: -1.2533 / 1°15'11"W

OS Eastings: 448770

OS Northings: 482466

OS Grid: SE487824

Mapcode National: GBR MMPG.GF

Mapcode Global: WHD8J.QSDS

Entry Name: Sutton Under Whitestonecliff Methodist Church

Listing Date: 2 February 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1315170

English Heritage Legacy ID: 332574

Location: Sutton-under-Whitestonecliffe, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO7

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Sutton-under-Whitestonecliffe

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Sutton

Listing Text

SUTTON-UNDER-WHITESTONECLIFFE MAIN STREET
SE 4882 - 4982
(SOUTH SIDE)
10/40 Sutton-under-Whitestonecliffe
Methodist Church
- II

Wesleyan Chapel now Methodist Church. Dated 1850. Coursed squared stone, grey
slate roof. Single-storey square cell with lower pentagonal bay to rear.
Quoins. Central porch has double door under fanlight in quoined round-arched
surround and barge boards to gable. To either side a tall, round-arched, 4-pane
sash in quoined surround with projecting cill. Above porch is a large stone
with oral recess inscribed "WESLEYAN/1850/CHAPEL". Eaves band. Hipped roof
with ashlar coping and central louvre. Returns each have 2 sashes with glazing
bars with stone lintels and projecting cills. Rear: the pentagonal bay is
partly of stone with a door in one side and sash with glazing bars in another,
and partly rebuilt in brick. Interior: later panelling, pews and preaching pew
fronted by C19 rail; rear double door to left.


Listing NGR: SE4877082466

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.