History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brandsby Hall Stables

A Grade II Listed Building in Brandsby-cum-Stearsby, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1394 / 54°8'21"N

Longitude: -1.0867 / 1°5'12"W

OS Eastings: 459762

OS Northings: 471887

OS Grid: SE597718

Mapcode National: GBR NNVK.JX

Mapcode Global: WHFBB.87R1

Entry Name: Brandsby Hall Stables

Listing Date: 17 May 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1315181

English Heritage Legacy ID: 332724

Location: Brandsby-cum-Stearsby, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO61

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Brandsby-cum-Stearsby

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Brandsby All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Whenby

Listing Text

BRANDSBY-CUM-STEARSBY TOWN STREET
SE 57 SE
(south side)
6/16
Brandsby Hall Stables
17.5.60
GV II

Stables. 1745-7. By and for Francis Cholmeley. Ashlar and dressed sandstone,
Westmorland slate roofs. 3:3:3 bays, the central range of 2 storeys and pro-
jecting forward from the 1 1/2-storey side ranges. Centre block: chamfered rusti-
cated ashlar ground floor; plinth; 3 round-arched openings with projecting key-
stones and linking impost bands, with leaved board doors in centre and recessed
blocking with 4-panel doors below large fanlights in outer bays; first-floor
band; dressed stone first floor, with 20-pane sash windows in architraves, with
a clock above centre window; moulded cornice; hipped roof; square wooden cupola
with a louvred opening and pediment on each side, surmounted by a weather vane.
Left range: openings have raised ashlar surrounds; central doorway with leaved
6-panel door flanked by 12-pane windows, and above them 3-pane Diocletian win-
dows; hipped roof to left. Right range the same, except for inserted narrow
windows to left. Rear: rubble; central range has 2 brick chimney stacks; side
ranges have Diocletian windows. John Cornforth, 'Brandsby Hall, Yorkshire, I',
Country Life, 2 January 1969, pp.20-21.


Listing NGR: SE5976271887

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.