History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Leonard

A Grade II* Listed Building in Thornton-le-Street, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2701 / 54°16'12"N

Longitude: -1.3655 / 1°21'55"W

OS Eastings: 441418

OS Northings: 486232

OS Grid: SE414862

Mapcode National: GBR LMX2.51

Mapcode Global: WHD89.0X1V

Entry Name: Church of St Leonard

Listing Date: 20 June 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1315196

English Heritage Legacy ID: 332606

Location: Thornton-le-Street, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO7

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Thornton-le-Street

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: South Otterington St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
South Kilvington

Listing Text

SE 48 NW THORNTON LE STREET MAIN STREET
(east side, off)

2/25 Church of St Leonard
20.6.66

GV II*

Church. C12, C14 and extensively restored in C19. Ashlar, coursed squared
stone, graduated stone slate roof. Nave, late C12, C19 south porch and
western bell turret, C14 chancel with small vestry. Nave: 4 bays. To west
an offset diagonal buttress, to east an offset angle buttress. To right of
south porch are 3 pointed-arched windows, cusped with hoodmoulds; the
central one is of 2-lights with Y-tracery, the others are of 1-light. South
gabled porch has offset diagonal buttresses. Board door in chamfered
pointed arch. Corbelled cornice to nave and gable cross to east. To west
elevation an offset angle buttress supports square bell turret with 2 lancet
openings with hoodmoulds. Corbelled cornice, above a tall pyramidal stone
roof with finial and belled eaves. North elevation has late C12 chamfered
round arched door with moulded impost and hood to right, C13 Y-tracery
window with truncated pointed top, to left. 2 bay chancel has chamfered 2-
light pointed arched windows with Y-tracery and hoodmoulds. Offset diagonal
buttresses to east. Pointed-arched east window has 3-lights with cusping,
hoodmould. Pierced trefoil above. Ridge crosses. Interior: C19 pointed
chancel arch. East window: glass by Kempe 1894. Monuments: to Lady Bridget
Laton 1664, a brass plate in an ornamented stone frame. To Roger Talbot
1680, a brass plate in large stone surround with short pilasters and open
segmental pediment, by P Briggs, Ebor Sculp, and another to Roger Talbot
1792 with an urn by Fisher.


Listing NGR: SE4141886232

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.