History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Newburgh Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Newburgh, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 54.183 / 54°10'58"N

Longitude: -1.1757 / 1°10'32"W

OS Eastings: 453895

OS Northings: 476671

OS Grid: SE538766

Mapcode National: GBR NN72.88

Mapcode Global: WHD8Y.X4B2

Entry Name: Newburgh Mill

Listing Date: 24 November 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1315209

English Heritage Legacy ID: 332773

Location: Newburgh, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO61

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Newburgh

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Coxwold St Michael

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SE 57 NW
2/63 Newburgh Mill
- II

Disused corn water mill. Mid C19 building, and attached at rear, remains of C15
mill with extensions of 1689 and the early C18. Later range of brick with
interlocking tile roof, older range of sandstone with added brickwork. Later
range: 2 storeys and left, 2 bays. Brick in English garden wall bond. Gable
(north) end facing track: central board doors on each floor including loft,
flanked on ground and first floors by a side-sliding sash window, and with sack
hoist in gable above. Left return: one opening with boarded shutter. Right
return: 2 bays of side-sliding sash windows. Across the back of the building,
at right angles and extending beyond it to the rear left (south) is the older
mill. This has a basement and ground floor in rubble sandstone terminating in
an offset, and has in the right return (west side) 3 unevenly-spread openings on
each floor, including to the far right the tail-race arch; above is a brick
gable added in 1689, and part of the early C18 brickwork which raised the older
gable by one storey. On the north side of the older mill, at the left end, is a
board door in quoined surround, and in the brickwork above a side-sliding sash
window. In the east side of the older mill is the arch to the mill head-race,
above which is a first-floor round-arched doorway in C17 brickwork with a sand-
stone ashlar keystone, with access up some steps, now collapsed. Interior: the
roof of the older mill has collapsed inside the mill, destroying the second
floor; the debris is lying on the first and ground floors, but the metal over-
shot water wheel, on suspension principles, some millstones and the line-shaft
gearing remain in the mill. For measured drawings, see C J Hatches, "The
Architectural Evolution of Corn Watermills in North and East Yorkshire", Vol 2,
unpublished M Phil Dissertation, Leeds Polytechnic, School of Architecture and

Listing NGR: SE5389576671

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.