History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Block Approximately 50 Metres North West of Newburgh Priory

A Grade II Listed Building in Newburgh, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1817 / 54°10'54"N

Longitude: -1.1708 / 1°10'14"W

OS Eastings: 454214

OS Northings: 476529

OS Grid: SE542765

Mapcode National: GBR NN82.9R

Mapcode Global: WHD8Y.Z5M2

Entry Name: Stable Block Approximately 50 Metres North West of Newburgh Priory

Listing Date: 24 November 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1315210

English Heritage Legacy ID: 332777

Location: Newburgh, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO61

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton

Civil Parish: Newburgh

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Coxwold St Michael

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Coxwold

Listing Text

NEWBURGH NEWBURGH PARK
SE 57 NW
2/67 Stable Block approx-
- imately 50 metres north-
west of Newburgh Priory
GV II

Former stable block, now used for storage and partly as an electricity sub-
station. Early C18, for the 4th Viscount Fauconberg, possibly with assistance
from William Wakefield; altered mid C19. Ashlar sandstone, partly pecked,
partly rendered leaving ashlar dressings exposed, Welsh slate roofs. 2 storeys,
5 x 3 bays, originally a quadrangle in plan with a central courtyard, later
roofed in. Rusticated quoins. South side: rendered; central leaved 4-panel
door below 3-pane fanlight in door case with bonded pilasters, imposts and round
arch of alternately enlarged voussoirs and tripartite keystone; on ground floor,
sash windows with glazing bars in rusticated surrounds with stepped voussoirs to
flat arches, alternate voussoirs pecked; in between the bays, 4 oculi in archi-
traves; first floor sill band and 6-pane sash windows in architraves; ashlar
cornice; hipped roof. Rear: ashlar; 4 bays; ground floor from left: sash window
with glazing bars in raised keyed surround; 2 oculi; sash window as before;
central 6-panel door with keyed surround to typanum; other side matching; on
first floor, 6-pane sash windows in raised surrounds, the 4th blind, with 2
chamfered single-light windows to left; cornice; brick ridge stacks between 1st
and 2nd, 3rd and 4th bays. Left return: rendered; ground-floor openings with
alternately raised voussoirs, the central doorway blocked to form Diodetian win-
dow, flanked by Diodetian windows; first-floor central loading door, flanked by
4-pane sash windows, all in raised surrounds; cornice. Right return: ashlar;
central doorway with keyed architrave partly-blocked to form 6-pane window,
flanked by 6-pane windows in partly-blocked keyed openings; first-floor sill
band and 6-pane sash windows; cornice. Interior: granite setts to floor; C19
stable fittings; C19 gas light fittings; strutted principal rafter roof trusses.


Listing NGR: SE5421876530

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.