History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wheatbrig's House

A Grade II Listed Building in Lindrick with Studley Royal and Fountains, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1281 / 54°7'41"N

Longitude: -1.5674 / 1°34'2"W

OS Eastings: 428370

OS Northings: 470339

OS Grid: SE283703

Mapcode National: GBR KNHP.GY

Mapcode Global: WHC7T.WHTN

Entry Name: Wheatbrig's House

Listing Date: 6 March 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1315265

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331051

Location: Lindrick with Studley Royal and Fountains, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Lindrick with Studley Royal an

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Ripon

Listing Text

SE 27 SE LINDRICK WITH STUDLEY STUDLEY PARK
ROYAL AND FOUNTAINS

5/47 Wheatbrig's House

6.3.67
- II


House with conservatory and outbuilding. Mid C18, altered C19. Probably
for John or William Aislabie as part of the garden layout to Studley Royal
house. Red brick, Flemish and random bond, English bond to first-floor
flanking bays; ashlar details; Westmorland slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays,
the central pedimented bay projecting slightly. Ashlar plinth and sill
bands. Central C20 door in stone architrave, flanked by narrow 10-pane
sashes in round-arched architraves. Left: wooden canted bay, window with
glazing bars. Right: sash with glazing bars in stone architrave. First
floor: three 4-pane sashes in stone architraves. Oculus with glazing bars
and architrave in pediment. Ashlar parapet with pineapple finials to
corners. Hipped roof, stacks flanking central bay. Left: wall with lean-to
conservatory. Right: 2-bay single-storey outbuilding with C20 door and 16-
pane sash. The house was used as the estate stewards house in the C19 but
was probably built as a gardener's house. It is clearly visible from one of
the focal points of the park, on high ground to north of the Lake. The
tithe map (1838) shows this building among the large enclosed gardens and
greenhouses which served Studley Royal House. The conservatory attached to
this house and the high garden wall to the east (qv) are the remnants of
those gardens. The style of the central door and flanking windows is
similar to that at Duck House, Studley Roger (qv) where the architraves are
in the form of a pointed arch.


Listing NGR: SE2837070339

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.