History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tang House and Tang Cottage, and Attached Garden Wall with Gate Piers and Corner Piers

A Grade II Listed Building in Birstwith, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0184 / 54°1'6"N

Longitude: -1.6385 / 1°38'18"W

OS Eastings: 423784

OS Northings: 458103

OS Grid: SE237581

Mapcode National: GBR KP0Z.28

Mapcode Global: WHC8C.S8Y8

Entry Name: Tang House and Tang Cottage, and Attached Garden Wall with Gate Piers and Corner Piers

Listing Date: 23 April 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1315285

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331156

Location: Birstwith, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Birstwith

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Birstwith St James

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Birstwith

Listing Text

BIRSTWITH TANG ROAD
SE 25 NW (north side)

14/28 Tang House and Tang
Cottage, and attached
23.4.52 garden wall with gate
piers and corner piers

- II

House, now 2 dwellings, with front garden wall, 2 pairs of gate piers and
corner pier to right. House: dated 1754. For Richard Bilton. Coursed
squared gritstone, purple slate roof. Cottage: C17 rebuild of C16 or
earlier house, probably altered 1754. Gritstone rubble, straw thatched roof
supported on crucks. Wall of coursed gritstone rubble. House: 2 storeys, 2
bays. Quoins. Central half-glazed 4-panel door in eared architrave with
pitched-stone hood on 2 stone brackets. Windows of 3 lights with flat-faced
mullions. Inscribed stone tablet in architrave above door: 'This building /
erected by / Richard Bilton / Anno Dom 1754'. Shaped kneelers, gable
coping, tall corniced end stacks. Cottage: single storey with attic, 2
bays. 3-panel door in sawn-stone surround far right, recessed-chamfered
mullion windows of 3 and 4 lights, centre and left. Raised verge with
coping and kneeler to left. Rear: C19 and C20 extensions. Interior: not
inspected at resurvey but reported to contain one and possibly 2 pairs of
cruck blades. Garden wall fronting house and cottage: approximately 1.2
metres high; piers to 2 gates and corner pier to right: approximately 1.5
metres high, square in section and with multi faceted finials. The earliest
feature of this group is the cruck truss, or trusses which belonged either
to an earlier timber framed house or to a house with stone walls as remain
at the Cottage. In 1754 that building was probably partly demolished to
allow for the new house, the earlier structure remaining as a service room
or outbuilding. The building has subsequently been divided into 2 houses,
with extensions to the rear.


Listing NGR: SE2378458103

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.