History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Quaker Burial Ground

A Grade II Listed Building in Dacre, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0413 / 54°2'28"N

Longitude: -1.7161 / 1°42'57"W

OS Eastings: 418688

OS Northings: 460624

OS Grid: SE186606

Mapcode National: GBR JPGQ.82

Mapcode Global: WHC84.MP08

Entry Name: Quaker Burial Ground

Listing Date: 3 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1315289

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331170

Location: Dacre, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Dacre

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Darley

Listing Text

DACRE DACRE LANE
SE 16 SE (west side, off)

8/42 Quaker burial ground
approximately 300 metres
north-west of Beasting
Farm

- II

Burial ground. Dated 1682, with probably mid C19 alterations. Coursed
squared gritstone. A rectangular walled enclosure measuring approximately
10 x 15 metres, with a gateway at the north end of the west side. The walls
approximately 2 metres high, with large quoins to the south-west and south-
east corners, and flat capstones. The gateway has chamfered quoined jambs
and a lintel inscribed '1682'. Interior: a chamfered window mullion is
built into the inner face of the north wall; no grave stones. The lack of
original quoins to the north-west and north-east corners, together with the
reused mullion in the north wall suggest that the enclosure originally
extended further north, and may have included a house. Dacre was the centre
of the main concentration of Nidderdale Quakers in the late C17. In 1696 a
new meeting house was built at Dacre; it went out of use in the early C19
and was later demolished, but burials continued here until the mid C19. It
is possible that the meeting house was on the north side of the burial
ground, and that its demolition resulted in the reconstruction of the north
wall of the graveyard. B Jennings, A History of Nidderdale, 1967, pp 398
and 425.


Listing NGR: SE1868860624

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.