This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0488 / 54°2'55"N
Longitude: -1.6896 / 1°41'22"W
OS Eastings: 420421
OS Northings: 461474
OS Grid: SE204614
Mapcode National: GBR JPNM.0C
Mapcode Global: WHC85.0HQF
Entry Name: Doughill Hall
Listing Date: 23 April 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1315290
English Heritage Legacy ID: 331190
Location: Hartwith cum Winsley, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Hartwith cum Winsley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
HARTWITH-CUM-WINSLEY B 6165
SE 26 SW (west side)
9/61 Dougill Hall
House. Dated 1722. For the Dougill family. Gritstone ashlar, graduated
stone slate roof. 3 storeys, 5 bays and 2 rooms deep with attached 2-
storey, 2-bay service block to rear. Central original 6-panel door, the top
2 panels glazed, in eared and shouldered architrave with lintel inscribed
and cornice. Cross windows to ground and first floor, most having one
casement; each with moulded architrave, pulvinated frieze and cornice. 2-
light mullion windows to top storey each with architrave and keyed lintel.
Deep moulded eaves cornice; blocking course with projecting panels to centre
and each end; ashlar coping to M-shaped roof; corniced end stacks. Single-
storey addition dated 1910 to right, not of special interest. Rear:
original door in moulded surround, left, now covered by extension; large
cross window lighting stairs centre; 3- and 4-light recessed-chamfered
mullion windows; shaped kneelers. To rear right and attached by covered
passage to the hall: possible former kitchen or service block, converted to
a flat c1980: central door, south side with large lintel inscribed
in rectangular surround with external triangles; door at first-floor level
in right return. Left return: central lead fall pipe with embossed bands
and reservoir embossed with 'I D 1722'. Interior: front right room formerly
entered from front door but now partitioned off: cross beam with cyma stops.
Principal room front left has excellent original pine panelling throughout,
composed of large fielded panels, fluted pilasters, moulded dado rail and
ceiling cornice, corner cupboard lined in wood having round-arched glazed
double doors retaining original glass, shutters with hinges and bars, and
panelled cross beam. Bolection-moulded stone surround to fireplace. Rear
room, left: plasterwork to ceiling cornice survives with elaborate moulding
carried over the cross beam which is decorated with 6 roses in relief.
Fireplace rebuilt c1970 using door lintel and surround from outbuilding
dated 'R 1612 D'. Rear room, right: kitchen, with wide fireplace arch of
joggled voussoirs; exposed ceiling timber work has a break in the joist line
which suggests former separate access to room above by a steep ladder or
stairs. Main staircase rear, centre, with fine original turned balusters.
Original tall 6-panel doors. See North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular
Buildings Study Group Report No 203 (January 1976).
Listing NGR: SE2042161474
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings