History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Low Snowden and Attached Outbuilding

A Grade II Listed Building in Askwith, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.961 / 53°57'39"N

Longitude: -1.7266 / 1°43'35"W

OS Eastings: 418036

OS Northings: 451693

OS Grid: SE180516

Mapcode National: GBR JQCM.ZT

Mapcode Global: WHC8J.GP1S

Entry Name: Low Snowden and Attached Outbuilding

Listing Date: 25 September 1981

Last Amended: 14 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1315332

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331401

Location: Askwith, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, LS21

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Askwith

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Weston All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Denton

Listing Text

ASKWITH SNOWDEN CARR ROAD
SE 15 SE
(east side, off)
6/8 Low Snowden and attached
outbuilding
25.9.81 (formerly listed as
Farmhouse north of Low
Hall Farm)
GV II

House and outbuildings. House dated 1683 with earlier traces, and late C19
roof restoration; outbuildings: late C18 - early C19. Coursed squared
gritstone, purple slates to house, graduated stone slates to outbuilding.
House: 2 storeys, 2 bays with rear outshut bay 2. Board door right with
" I R "
quoined jambs, roll-moulding to edges and large lintel inscribed: S .
1683
Recessed chamfered mullion windows throughout, ground floor left of 4, now
2 lights and far left of 3 lights with 1 mullion removed, paired 9-pane
sashes inserted into both. Continuous moulded string course above. First
floor: 2-and 3-light windows. End stacks - banded to left, large corniced
to right. Rear: two 2-light windows to outshut. Interior: remains of an
earlier timber-framed building include 2 pairs of timber posts and a
bressumer beam over the fireplace which supports a large spine beam and
ceiling joists. The date 1683 records the cladding of the house in stone.
A fire in the late C19 destroyed the roof of reed thatch and the roof was
raised, in red brick at the rear. Outbuildings: 2 storeys, 2 bays with rear
extension bay 1 of 2 builds, on down hill slope. Left bay has doorway
with quoined jambs reduced to a window, and a square window with C20 frame
to left. Right bay: external steps to board door with tie-stone jambs, and
a byre door at the lower level, right, with tie-stone jambs; square pitching
door above. Right return: square mucking-out door centre, pitching door
above:, turned-back kneelers, gable copings. Rear: projecting half cellar
has 2 light flat-faced mullion window, the roof collapsed. North Yorkshire
and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report No 379 (1977).


Listing NGR: SE1803651693

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.