History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brearton Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Brearton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0442 / 54°2'39"N

Longitude: -1.5074 / 1°30'26"W

OS Eastings: 432354

OS Northings: 461025

OS Grid: SE323610

Mapcode National: GBR KPXP.G0

Mapcode Global: WHC87.TMC0

Entry Name: Brearton Chapel

Listing Date: 18 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1315349

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331507

Location: Brearton, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Brearton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Knaresborough

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Ripley

Listing Text

BREARTON MAIN STREET
SE 36 SW (south side)

2/4 Brearton Chapel

II

Chapel. 1836. For Thomas Duncombe of Copgrove. Magnesian limestone,
gritstone dressings, purple slate roof. Shallow plinth. 3 bays with
entrance at west gable end and bellcote above. 4 steps up to paired 2-panel
doors under ogee door-head with hoodmould. Central stonework projects
slightly and is carried up as a shallow pilaster to the gabled bellcote
which has a crocketted finial. 3 flat-headed windows of paired cusped
lights under a square hoodmould to north and south sides; similar 3-light
east window. Chamfered eaves cornice, shaped kneelers and gable copings;
short corniced stack at east end. Interior: 3 steps down in north-east
corner to a partitioned-off vestry room which has a small fireplace with
plain surround against the east wall. Reading desk and pulpit in the south-
east corner. Small octagonal font in south-west corner. 4 roof trusses
with alternating plain and cusped timberwork. A wooden notice above the
west door records that the chapel was erected in 1836 and contained 150
sittings, the minister was Aaron Manby and the Chapel Warden was Frances
Reynard.


Listing NGR: SE3235461025

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.