History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Thomas a Becket

A Grade II Listed Building in Hampsthwaite, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0267 / 54°1'36"N

Longitude: -1.6053 / 1°36'19"W

OS Eastings: 425951

OS Northings: 459042

OS Grid: SE259590

Mapcode National: GBR KP7W.78

Mapcode Global: WHC8D.91SV

Entry Name: Church of St Thomas a Becket

Listing Date: 15 March 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1315374

English Heritage Legacy ID: 331517

Location: Hampsthwaite, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Hampsthwaite

Built-Up Area: Hampsthwaite

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Hampsthwaite and Killinghall

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Birstwith

Listing Text

HAMPSTHWAITE CHURCH STREET
SE 25 NE (west side)

4/14 Church of St Thomas a
Becket
15.3.66

GV II

Church. C15 tower, the remainder 1902 by C Hodgson Fowler in Perpendicular
style. Coursed squared gritstone and ashlar, grey slate roof. 3-stage west
tower, 4-bay nave with south aisle and porch, 2-bay chancel with south
vestry. Tower: full-height stepped diagonal buttresses, fine west door in
hollow-moulded Gothic arch with hoodmould, restored 3-light pointed
Perpendicular window above. 3-light window with reticulated tracery to
centre stage, south face; 3-light pointed Perpendicular belfry window to
each side. All openings with hoodmoulds. Eaves string course,
battlemented parapet with central triangular pilasters, and weather-vane.
South porch; chamfered arch has possibly reused masonry; the side walls
include medieval and C17 inscriptions and tomb slabs. Nave, vestry and
chancel windows have flat, segmental and pointed arches respectively, all
with Perpendicular style tracery mostly if 3 lights and all with hoodmoulds.
String course at eaves level of porch carried round at sill level to aisle
south and east sides. South vestry with pointed south door. Gable coping
and finial to east end. Interior: a very tall double-chamfered arch to the
tower east wall, the roof line of the earlier nave above. A large bowl-
shaped font near the door stands on octagonal base and has a roll moulding
at the base. Fine panelling of late C17 date lines the south aisle; the pews
probably include reworked seating of the same date. Large white marble
monument to Amy Woodforde Finden (1919), a popular musician who composed the
Indian Love Lyrics; the sculptor George Wade, design probably by Judini. A
small brass depicting a merchant of c1360 and inscribed to the memory of
Andrew Dixon (1570) on the north wall of the chancel.


Listing NGR: SE2595159042

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.