This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9494 / 53°56'57"N
Longitude: -1.3135 / 1°18'48"W
OS Eastings: 445152
OS Northings: 450581
OS Grid: SE451505
Mapcode National: GBR MQ8S.F0
Mapcode Global: WHD9V.SZQQ
Entry Name: Former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel with Retaining Wall
Listing Date: 22 October 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1315390
English Heritage Legacy ID: 331707
Location: Bilton-in-Ainsty with Bickerton, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, LS22
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Bilton-in-Ainsty with Bickerton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Rural Ainsty
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 45 SE BILTON IN AINSTY MAIN STREET
4/6 Former Wesleyan Methodist
Chapel with retaining
Former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel and retaining wall. 1826. Coursed squared
limestone, slate roof. 1 x 2 bays, single storey. Gabled street elevation
has central 6-panelled door below flat stone arch. Above the entrance: a
C20 small-pane window in original opening with splayed voussoirs to flat
arch and projecting sill. Below the sill a raised plaque is inscribed:
"Wesleyan / Methodist Chapel / 1826". Shaped kneelers; gable copings.
Blind south gable wall. Both side elevations have two 16-pane sashes with
flat arches and sills as front. Front retaining wall: coursed limestone,
triangular coping; approximately 1.2 metres high, ramped down to gateway.
A memorial to Rev F Wilson, a missionary to Tonga, was removed to the west
wall of St Helen's Church (qv) when the chapel closed.
Listing NGR: SE4515250581
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings