History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Deans Croft

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ripon, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1367 / 54°8'12"N

Longitude: -1.5184 / 1°31'6"W

OS Eastings: 431560

OS Northings: 471317

OS Grid: SE315713

Mapcode National: GBR KNVL.1V

Mapcode Global: WHC7V.N941

Entry Name: Deans Croft

Listing Date: 27 May 1949

Last Amended: 19 March 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1315485

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330212

Location: Ripon, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Ripon

Built-Up Area: Ripon

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Ripon Cathedral Parish with Littlethorpe

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Ripon

Listing Text

SE 3171 RIPON ST MARYGATE
1/8 (east side)
27.5.49
No 27
GV (Deans Croft) [formerly
listed as Police
Station (incl Cell
Block adjoining to
North)]

II*

C17 with rear extension of 1816, designed by the 2nd Lord Grantham of Newby Hall
(subsequently Earl de Grey and first President of the RIBA). Formerly the House of
Correction, and, if purpose-built, dates from 1685 when the House of Correction was
established (see Ripon Millenary). Rendered, but built of alternating courses of
either brick or stone, and cobbles. Stone slate roof. Three storeys, with basement
at east end. Band over ground floor windows. Six bays: 2-light stone-mullioned
windows with recessed mullions of rectangular section. Oak door studded with iron
bolts.

The second floor is entirely brick, and there is a straight joint at rear, thus
suggesting that the 2 eastern bays and the top floor may have been added; but if so,
the style of the original was closely adhered to, so the addition may either have been
made shortly after completing the original building or been a faithful facsimile of
circa 1800.

In 1815 the magistrates ordered the building of an extension, but this must have been
the cell-block extension to rear, as the latter was built in 1816 (see Ripon
Millenary). Furthermore the spinal passage of the latter is aligned exactly on the
cross passage within the house which must date from after the building of the 2
eastern bays; so the cell-block extension is likely to post-date the latter.

Cell-block is built of brown brick. Wooden brackets to eaves. Two storeys. Four
iron-barred windows in plain stone surrounds on first floor. Three large iron-barred
windows in plain stone surrounds on ground floor. Inside it is brick-vaulted
throughout, with stone flagged floors. Iron balustrade to staircase, and very heavy
iron doors with original massive locks.

In the adjacent garden wall the street gate has a blind fanlight with royal arms
dateable to between 1801 and 1837, and a festoon of chains.

Subsequent history. The House of Correction was closed in 1878, and the building
became a grain store. In 1887 it was taken over by the newly-formed West Riding
Constabulary, and became a Police Station. In 1958 it became a private house; front
part restored in 1972.


Listing NGR: SE3156071317

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.