This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1363 / 54°8'10"N
Longitude: -1.5237 / 1°31'25"W
OS Eastings: 431216
OS Northings: 471270
OS Grid: SE312712
Mapcode National: GBR KNSL.XZ
Mapcode Global: WHC7V.K9MC
Entry Name: Obelisk
Listing Date: 27 May 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1315492
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330147
Location: Ripon, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Ripon
Built-Up Area: Ripon
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Ripon Cathedral Parish with Littlethorpe
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 3171 RIPON MARKET PLACE
1702. Architect: Nicholas Hawksmoor. Clerk of Works: Cornelius Varker. Masons:
William Etty and William Cowling. Carver: Samuel Carpenter of York. Smith: John
Hood. Ashlar, Plinth. Tall, simply moulded base, with a plaque misleadingly
ERECTED AT THE EXPENSE OF
WILLIAM AISLABIE ESQUIRE,
WHO REPRESENTED THIS BOROUGH
IN PARLIAMENT SIXTY YEARS.
THE MAYOR, ALDERMEN AND ASSISTANTS
OF RIPON ORDERED THIS INSCRIPTION,
THE HONOURABLE FREDERICK ROBINSON,
Obelisk surmounted by tall wrought iron weather-vane incorporating a representation or
the Wakeman's Horn. Eighty feet high. Built by John Aislabie of Studley Royal.
William Aislabie's contribution in 1781 must have been to repair it. He may also have
removed the wrought iron railings surrounding it, and replaced them with 4 smaller
obelisks at the corners, which have also been removed since.
The earliest surviving free-standing monumental obelist in Great Britain.
Listing NGR: SE3121671270
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings