History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Office Building at Williamson's Varnish Works

A Grade II Listed Building in Ripon, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 54.1341 / 54°8'2"N

Longitude: -1.5262 / 1°31'34"W

OS Eastings: 431054

OS Northings: 471017

OS Grid: SE310710

Mapcode National: GBR KNSM.CT

Mapcode Global: WHC7V.JCG3

Entry Name: Former Office Building at Williamson's Varnish Works

Listing Date: 16 January 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1315511

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330260

Location: Ripon, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Ripon

Built-Up Area: Ripon

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Ripon Cathedral Parish with Littlethorpe

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(south east side)
Former Office
Building at
Williamson's Varnish


Office building. 1925. Red brick with terracotta dressings. Hipped plain tile
roof, with 2 wall stacks. 2 storey plus attic. South river front, 9 bays, with
outer pilasters. 3 bay gabled centre, has flanking painted pilaster strips with
moulded coping. 3 windows with above a terracotta, painted panel inscribed "VARNISH
AND ENAMEL WORKS: ESTABLISHED 1775", above 3 windows with above a similar panel
inscribed "T & R WILLIAMSON LTD", above a large Diocletian window with painted
surround and ornate keystone. Either side 3 bay wings with central 2 storey canted
bay windows in terracotta surrounds, flanked by single narrow windows to each floor,
above large double dormers. West front, 4 bays with central 2 bays gabled and
flanked by external stacks. 4 windows with over central 2 a painted terracotta
panel inscribed "T & R WILLIAMS LTD 1775-1925", and above 4 windows. Central gable
has round headed attic window. Rear north front, 10 bays with projecting 2 bay
gabled centre with pairs of bays defined by pilasters. Off centre doorway has
double doors a gabled terracotta surround inscribed "1925", above 2 stepped windows
and a semi-circular window above. Either side pairs of windows with 2, 3 light
dormers above.

Listing NGR: SE3105471017

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.