History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Joseph and Saint James

A Grade II Listed Building in Follifoot, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9691 / 53°58'8"N

Longitude: -1.4789 / 1°28'44"W

OS Eastings: 434281

OS Northings: 452683

OS Grid: SE342526

Mapcode National: GBR LQ3J.MY

Mapcode Global: WHD9S.8H0K

Entry Name: Church of Saint Joseph and Saint James

Listing Date: 12 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1315583

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330671

Location: Follifoot, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Follifoot

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Spofforth with Kirk Deighton

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Spofforth

Listing Text

SE 35 SW FOLLIFOOT PLOMPTON ROAD
(north side)

4/8 Church of Saint Joseph
and Saint James

GV II

Church. 1848. For Sir Joseph Radcliffe and Rev James Tripp, Rector of
Spofforth. Rock-faced gritstone with sandstone dressings; slate roof. 3-
bay nave with central south porch and west bellcote; 1-bay chancel with
small vestry on north side. Compact Gothic Style: gabled porch with hood-
mould and head-stops to pointed arch; low side walls with trefoil windows.
Lancet windows throughout, of one light at east end and 3 lights to west.
Diagonal buttresses, ashlar gable copings, shaped kneelers. Interior:
marble reredos includes symbols of the Evangelists. The 3 windows in the
chancel were dedicated 1879-81 to the memory of Sir Joseph Radcliffe, Bart.
The church was built as a chapel of ease to Spofforth Church and was opened
22nd October 1848.


Listing NGR: SE3428152683

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.