This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9991 / 53°59'56"N
Longitude: -1.4163 / 1°24'58"W
OS Eastings: 438361
OS Northings: 456048
OS Grid: SE383560
Mapcode National: GBR LQK6.56
Mapcode Global: WHD9M.6RV3
Entry Name: Goldsborough Hall
Listing Date: 8 March 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1315586
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330683
Location: Goldsborough, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG5
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Goldsborough
Built-Up Area: Goldsborough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Knaresborough
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 35 NE GOLDSBOROUGH CHURCH STREET
(south side, off)
3/20 Goldsborough Hall
Country house, now nursing home. c1625 for Sir Richard Hutton, with
alterations mid C18 for Robert Byerley and afterwards by John Carr for
Daniel Lascelles. Extensive restorations and conversions in mid to late
C20. Sandstone and red brick, random bond, with ashlar details.
Westmorland slate roof. 3 storeys with cellars, oblong plan 5 bays wide by
3 bays deep. Central 2-storey porch has round arch flanked by paired,
fluted, Tuscan pilasters of ashlar, heavily restored. A plain entablature
above, with moulded cornice which is continued around the building as a
moulded string above ground-floor window level. Flanking bays have
rectangular windows with C20 cross-frames. Bays 1 and 5 have C18 canted bay
windows with flat-faced mullions and C20 frames, to ground and first floors.
A balustrade above the 1st-floor windows continues across the porch top.
The second floor has 3 gables containing 6-light chamfered mullion and
transom windows with hoodmoulds. Small oculi above. The face of the wall
is carried up between the gables to form a plain parapet above window height
which conceals the stacks. Badge of Daniel Lascelles (d 1784) above
entrance. Lead rainwater pipes and heads with Lascelles badge. Ball
finials to outer corners of parapet. Weather vane on central, gable. Rear
(west) elevation has large, central mullion and transom windows lighting the
staircase. Smaller windows to remaining rooms, and occuli to gables. C20
lean-to addition ground floor left. Left return (garden front): large mid
C20 conservatory ground floor, centre. Flanking C18 bay windows continue to
2nd storey and have balustrade above. Right return: C20 ground-and first-
floor entrances with external steps. Mullion and transom windows.
Interior: ground floor, right: dining room - early C17 marble chimney piece
with caryatids and 2 panels with Old Testament scenes. Badges of Princess
Mary and Henry Lascelles superimposed onto lower frieze. Fluted wooden
Ionic columns flank bay window. Ground floor, left -drawing room has C18
marble fireplace and moulded plaster coving to ceiling with acanthus leaves.
The library (south-west corner) is panelled and has an elaborate plaster
ceiling with oak and vine motifs in strapwork panels. The framed oak
staircase of 4 flights is C17 and has turned balusters, square newel posts
with elaborate finials, and moulded hand rail. C20 lift shaft and kitchens
are in the north-west corner of the ground floor. First floor - eastern
range of rooms has Adam-style plasterwork to ceilings, and a false ceiling
above the southerly room hides an elaborate coved and decorated ceiling.
South-west room is panelled, with a frieze of winged mermaids and masks
below a ceiling with strapwork and small panels containing flowers and
pomegranites, in blue and gold. Although the major alterations to the house
would appear to have been made after the purchase by Daniel Lascelles in
1760, a pencil sketch of plaster mouldings found on the north reveal of the
dining room bay window and dated July 1743 suggests that some of the work
was begun before that time, including the construction of the bay windows.
John Carr worked on Goldsborough in 1762-65 while employed on Harewood House
by Edwin Lascelles. Chippendale and his successor, William Reid, are also
known to have made furniture for Goldsborough Hall. In 1922 the heir to
Harewood, Henry Lascelles, married Princess Mary, daughter of King George V
and they lived at Goldsborough until 1929. Much of the internal decoration,
possibly including the panelling, dates from this time. Since then the hall
has been a school, a hotel and a nursing home and little of the original C17
Anon, "Goldsborough Hall, Yorkshire," Country Life, October 15th 1904, pp
W.A. Atkinson, A Short Account of Goldsborough and its Neighbourhood.
C. Kennedy, Harewood, Hutchinson 1982.
Listing NGR: SE3836156048
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings