History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Castle Mill Central Range Parallel to and Set Back from Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Knaresborough, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0063 / 54°0'22"N

Longitude: -1.471 / 1°28'15"W

OS Eastings: 434769

OS Northings: 456824

OS Grid: SE347568

Mapcode National: GBR LQ53.BM

Mapcode Global: WHD9L.CKRK

Entry Name: Castle Mill Central Range Parallel to and Set Back from Road

Listing Date: 25 March 1983

Last Amended: 12 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1315621

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330878

Location: Knaresborough, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG5

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Knaresborough

Built-Up Area: Knaresborough

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Knaresborough

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Knaresborough

Listing Text

SE 3456 KNARESBOROUGH WATERSIDE
(south side)

8/208 Castle Mill: central
range parallel to and set
back from road (formerly
25.3.85 listed as Block C under Castle
Mills (consisting of blocks
A to E))

GV II

Mill building, now store for sign writers. Mid-late C18 with C19
alterations. Stone rubble, rendered, to right, brick in English bond to
left; stone slate roof with 6 ridge courses of Westmorland slates and stone
ridge. 2 storeys, 4 first-floor windows. South-east facade: 4 small-paned
sashes, 2 side-sliding and 2 vertical, to ground floor. First floor, left
(brick section): 2 side-sliding segmental-arched sashes with glazing bars
and projecting sills above blocked arch. Right (rendered stone): sash with
glazing bars in flush wood architrave and small-paned window with bars.
Right: ashlar gable coping and kneeler, with banded end stack. Rear: two
C20 windows to ground floor, 8-pane side-sliding sash first floor left,
remains of 12-pane sash to right. Left return attached to north-east side
of weaving shed (q.v.). Interior: ground floor, right, has remains of
plaster ceiling with moulded cornice, and the vertical sash has panelled
reveals. The north-east gable wall has a blacksmith's hearth built against
it. The building is in a very poor condition. This part of the mill
complex appears to have been originally built for domestic or office use, if
only in part. It is probably part of the paper mill complex in operation by
1770 and converted to cotton spinning in 1790. After conversion to flax
spinning in 1811 the large weaving shed was added c1830-1840 (q.v.) and
probably at that time the lower storey of this range was converted to a
blacksmiths forge for the maintenance of mill machinery as well as for
shoeing. The south end of the building was also probably rebuilt in brick
during this period. B Jennings, Harrogate and Knaresborough, 1970, p 264.


Listing NGR: SE3476956824

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.