This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.008 / 54°0'28"N
Longitude: -1.4674 / 1°28'2"W
OS Eastings: 435000
OS Northings: 457018
OS Grid: SE350570
Mapcode National: GBR LQ62.3Z
Mapcode Global: WHD9L.FJG7
Entry Name: Nos 25,27,29 and 31 (Old Town Hall) with Additional Range on Right Return
Listing Date: 15 May 1968
Last Amended: 12 December 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1315653
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330849
Location: Knaresborough, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG5
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Knaresborough
Built-Up Area: Knaresborough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Knaresborough
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 3457 KNARESBOROUGH MARKET PLACE
6/178 and 7/178 Nos 25, 27, 29 and 31
(Old Town Hall) with
additional range on right
15.5.68 return (formerly listed as
Former Town Hail)
Town hall, now commercial premises above shops. 1862 by John Child.
Ashlar, Westmorland slate roofs. 2 storeys, 5 bays. Rusticated quoins.
Round-arched entrance on left with panelled door, rusticated voussoirs.
Similar arch to right contains board listing market charges. Arcade in
between 5 shallow segmental arches supported by rusticated piers with C20
shop windows. Deep moulded cornice at first-floor level. Cross-windows to
first floor; moulded sill band, architraves with slender consoles supporting
cornices. Inscription on scroll above central window reads " TOWN 1862
HALL". Console and dentil eaves cornice with large clock supported on
consoles at centre. Hipped roof. Right return: 2-storey, 2-bay end in same
style as front. 3-storey, 2-bay lower addition to right has limestone
plinth and lined rendering. Heavily-rusticated round arch with C20 door on
left. This gives access to stairs leading to the first floor of the main
town hall range. Recessed sashes with glazing bars to ground and first
floor, 6-pane sashes to second floor. Moulded eaves cornice, hipped roof,
large brick stack to front of roof. The southern half of this building (to
right) was part of the Literary Institution Building, now No 33A Market
Listing NGR: SE3500057018
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings