This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.3538 / 54°21'13"N
Longitude: -0.8879 / 0°53'16"W
OS Eastings: 472373
OS Northings: 495927
OS Grid: SE723959
Mapcode National: GBR QL73.K2
Mapcode Global: WHF98.BTDQ
Entry Name: Priory Remains
Listing Date: 10 November 1953
Last Amended: 27 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1315706
English Heritage Legacy ID: 382469
Location: Rosedale East Side, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO18
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Rosedale East Side
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
ROSEDALE EAST SIDE ROSEDALE ABBEY
16/51 Priory remains
(formerly listed as the
10.11.53 remains of Rosedale Abbey)
Priory remains, consisting of a buttressed pier containing a staircase.
C13. Sandstone ashlar. Pier approximately 4 metres high. Rebated doorway,
beneath flat lintel and semicircular retaining arch, to the north-east:
shouldered, square-headed light over. To the right, on the north face of
the pier, is a massive corbel, possibly the springing point of chamfered
vaulting, traces of which are visible above. Chamfered and roll-moulded
plinth to buttresses on the south and west. There are angle lights to the
north-west, and slits, deeply splayed inside, to the south-west and south-
east. Interior: stone spiral stair constructed of separate, individually
shaped blocks. The Priory, a Nunnery, was founded by the Cistercians under
the patronage of William of Rosedale, sometime before 1158. It was
dissolved by Henry VIII in 1536, when there were 8 nuns and the Prioress.
The Priory Chapel survived the dissolution. 3 centuries later it had fallen
into disrepair, and with the increased population in the dale, associated
with the new development of local ironstone, was found to be too small. It
was rebuilt in 1839 as the Church of St Mary and St Laurence (qv). Rev E H
Mowforth, Rosedale Priory and the Church of St Mary and St Laurence (qv).
Listing NGR: SE7237395927
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings