This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1678 / 54°10'4"N
Longitude: -0.6825 / 0°40'57"W
OS Eastings: 486110
OS Northings: 475472
OS Grid: SE861754
Mapcode National: GBR RNP7.1P
Mapcode Global: WHGCG.HH6Q
Entry Name: Church of St Martin
Listing Date: 10 October 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1315719
English Heritage Legacy ID: 329397
Location: Scampston, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO17
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Scampston
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Scampston with Wintringham
Church of England Diocese: York
SCAMPSTON TOWN STREET
SE 87 NE
4/57 Church of St Martin
Church. 1845. By G T Andrews for Col William St Quintin. Dressed sandstone
on plinth with limestone ashlar buttresses and dressings; slate roof. West
bellcote; 4-bay aisled nave and south porch; chancel and vestry. Square-
headed west window of 2 cusped lancets. Paired cusped lancets above, and
similar single lights at west end of both aisles. Gabled bellcote on plinth
has twin pointed arches on chamfered responds and octagonal centre shaft.
Crocket finial. Nave south side has dwarf angle buttreses. Gabled porch
has hollow-chamfered opening beneath roll-moulded, pointed arch on
colonettes with moulded capitals. Coved hoodmould on leaf stops and crocket
finial. Pointed south door on C-hinges. East of porch are 2 square-headed
windows of paired cusped lancets. 3 similar windows on north side and
central dwarf buttress. Chancel south side has pointed priest's door in
triple-chamfered opening. To west, pointed window of pointed cusped lights
beneath reticulated quatrefoil. Dwarf buttresses east of door and at east
angle. On north side is the vestry with pent roof and truncated stack.
Pointed east window of 3 lights with geometric tracery beneath coved
hoodmould on corbel heads. Vestry east window of paired lancets. All
windows have double-chamfered openings. All gables coped. Nave and chancel
gable crosses. Interior: north and south arcades of double-chamfered arches
on cylindrical columns with waterholding bases and moulded capitals.
Pointed chancel arch on half- octagonal responds with moulded capitals.
Trefoil-headed double sedilia in sanctuary south side. Finely carved rood
screen, stalls, altar, pulpit and prayer desk donated by William Herbert St
Quintin in 1906. Round-arched niche on side shafts in chancel north wall
contains a carved marble Deposition placed in memory of his Uncle, Rev
George Danby, by the same benefactor in 1906. Octagonal font with tall
crocketed cover. Memorial window in chancel south side is inscribed: "Good
Christian people of your faith pray for the good estate of Wm St Quintin
and Dame Louisa, his wife, who built this Church AD MDCCCXLV". Several
original windows bordered in pretty stained glass.
Listing NGR: SE8611075472
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings