This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.2105 / 54°12'37"N
Longitude: -0.903 / 0°54'10"W
OS Eastings: 471640
OS Northings: 479971
OS Grid: SE716799
Mapcode National: GBR QM4R.9F
Mapcode Global: WHFB1.3F7J
Entry Name: Church of St John of Beverley
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1315726
English Heritage Legacy ID: 329334
Location: Salton, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO62
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Salton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Salton St John of Beverley
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 77 NW
6/70 Church of St John of
Church. Early C12 nave and chancel; north wall rebuilt and tower added in
late C12 following a Scottish raid; early C13 tower arch. Restoration of
1881 when tower was buttressed, crenellated and re-roofed, porch rebuilt,
chancel roof raised and east end rebuilt. Squared sandstone with porch of
sandstone and reused chancel timbers; tiled roofs to nave, chancel and
porch; lead roof to tower. West tower, 5-bay nave and south porch, chancel.
2-stage tower with clasping buttresses, the south-west one housing the
stair. North and south lancets to the lower stage, and C19 three-light west
window with panel tracery. Louvred bell-openings recessed beneath round
arches on nook-shafts. Continuous string course below bell-openings; corbel
table below crenellated parapet. Pyramidal cap surmounted by filigree
cross. Gabled south porch contains fine round-arched doorway of 2 orders,
the inner with a double band of beak-heads continuing down the responds.
Outer order of radial masks on renewed shafts. Renewed 2-light window to
west, and 3 lancets, of early and late C12, to east. Offset angle buttress
at west end and 2 pilaster buttresses to east. Nave north wall has plain
round-arched doorway and 5 lancets. Chancel has chevron-moulded, round-
arched priest's door with imposts, one with traces of dogtooth moulding.
Lancet with incised lintel to east. Later lancets with hoodmoulds at each
end. North wall has 2 lancets with incised lintels and one lancet with
hoodmould. Nave and chancel have mask corbel table, renewed in places. C19
east window of 3 lights with panel tracery. Coped gables and gable crosses
to nave and chancel. Interior: pointed tower arch of 2 chamfered orders on
triple responds with tall bases and plain capitals beneath hoodmould. Round
chancel arch of 2 orders of chevron moulding, on triple responds with
scalloped capitals and cable-moulded necking. Hoodmould of alternating
pellets and pomegranates. C13 iron-bound muniment chest with C17 panelled
cover. C17 altar table; pulpit and lectern incorporate C17 carved panels.
Monuments. Nave north wall:- to John and Mary Dowker (d1816 and 1820
respectively), by Bennett and Flintoft of York. Nave south wall:- to George
Woodcock Dowker (d1835) and his son, Henry Thomas (d1814, aged 7), probably
by the same masons.
Listing NGR: SE7163679971
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings