History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Sand Hutton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0186 / 54°1'6"N

Longitude: -0.9409 / 0°56'27"W

OS Eastings: 469491

OS Northings: 458579

OS Grid: SE694585

Mapcode National: GBR PPWZ.36

Mapcode Global: WHFBZ.J854

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 24 January 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1315734

English Heritage Legacy ID: 329484

Location: Sand Hutton, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO41

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Sand Hutton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Sand Hutton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Sand Hutton

Listing Text

SE 65 NE SAND HUTTON MAIN STREET
(north side, off)

5/40 Church of St Mary

- II

Church. 1840-42 by Salvin, remodelled 1885-6 by C Hodgson Fowler.
Sandstone ashlar with some re-used Medieval fabric in tower, Westmorland
slate roof. 5-bay nave with tower to south incorporating porch, and vestry
to north, 2-bay chancel with organ chamber to north. 2-light west window
with Perpendicular tracery and quatrefoil window above. The westernmost
windows of the nave are in Decorated style. All other windows are 3-light
with Perpendicular tracery except for single-light trefoil-headed window to
fifth bay on south side. 3-stage tower with pointed doorway to south and
single lancet above. Paired belfry openings and broach spire. Chancel
windows have Perpendicular tracery. Interior contains monument to Deborah
Read, died 1794: white marble tablet on black marble background resting on
fluted shelf supported by consoles. Decorative frieze carries pedestal and
urn. By I Fisher of York. Pevsner, Yorkshire: the North Riding, 1966.


Listing NGR: SE6949158579

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.