This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9936 / 53°59'37"N
Longitude: -1.5459 / 1°32'45"W
OS Eastings: 429870
OS Northings: 455381
OS Grid: SE298553
Mapcode National: GBR KQN8.34
Mapcode Global: WHC8F.7W39
Entry Name: Crown Hotel
Listing Date: 4 March 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1315825
English Heritage Legacy ID: 329860
Location: Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG1
County: North Yorkshire
Electoral Ward/Division: Low Harrogate
Built-Up Area: Harrogate
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: High Harrogate St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
1. (East Side)
5338 Crown Hotel
SE 2955 SE 12/87
Circa 1847 centre centre (on site of earlier inn of circa 1740), with Italianate
extention to east and west of circa 1870 designed by J H Hurst and built by
. The classical building of 1847
of 3 storeys and attics with 3 window projecting centre and 1 window wings.
Formerly the building had an extra window bay at each end and a mansard roof
replaced in 1870 by a flatter roof and balustraded parapet. 1870 extensions
of 3 storeys with 3 bays and tower with cupola at east end. Slated hipped roofs.
Grit stone ashlar, extensions with rusticated ground floor and pilasters to quoins.
3 bay centre with pilasters rising through 1st ard 2nd floors carrying continuous
entablature (attic windows in frieze) with balustraded parapets ; arcliitraved
sash windows 1st floor with connote bracketed cornices arid central segmental
pediment, ground floor with triangular pediments. Extensions with 3 light windows,
with splayed bays rising through ground and lstfloor with arched lights and
cornices, and with blind balustraded balconies to lst floor. 4 storey tower
with circular cupola with dome removed. Bow window additions of circa 1870 to
rear and sides of building. Central Corinthian prostyle portico in antis with
balustraded parapet. Interesting Italianate entrance hall and dining room.
Open well staircase with cast iron balustrade. East facade further remodelled circa 1899,
with addition of tower designed by W J Morley.
[The Crown Hotel forms a group with Nos 1 to 3 (consec) and the Royal Pump Room Museum.
Listing NGR: SE2987255376
Other nearby listed buildings