This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.0082 / 54°0'29"N
Longitude: -1.5368 / 1°32'12"W
OS Eastings: 430452
OS Northings: 457007
OS Grid: SE304570
Mapcode National: GBR KQQ2.2X
Mapcode Global: WHC8F.CJD3
Entry Name: Parish Church of St John
Listing Date: 4 February 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1315827
English Heritage Legacy ID: 329867
Location: Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG1
County: North Yorkshire
Electoral Ward/Division: Bilton
Built-Up Area: Harrogate
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Bilton St Luke and St John
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
ELM TREE AVENUE, Bilton
Parish Church of St John
Parish church. 1851-57, re-ordered c1970. Designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Gothic Revival style. Nave of 5 bays, 2 bay chancel, aisles and west tower designed to carry a spire which was never built. Graduated green slate roof with corbelled eaves. Grit stone ashlar with contrasting colour ashlar dressings. Aisles with lancet windows; 2 light clerestory windows; sanctuary windows in blind arcade with 3 tall lancets at east end with stained glass by Grace. INTERIOR: Arcade piers with stiff leaf and naturalistic foliage. Open timber roof with trefoil trusses. Internal arrangements recently altered with organ transferred to west end. South porch with arched entrance with receding orders with naturalistic foliage.
Listing NGR: SE3045257007
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings