This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9962 / 53°59'46"N
Longitude: -1.5227 / 1°31'21"W
OS Eastings: 431384
OS Northings: 455682
OS Grid: SE313556
Mapcode National: GBR KQT7.46
Mapcode Global: WHC8F.LT39
Entry Name: Granby Hotel
Listing Date: 4 February 1975
Last Amended: 18 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1315828
English Heritage Legacy ID: 329872
Location: Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG1
County: North Yorkshire
Electoral Ward/Division: Granby
Built-Up Area: Harrogate
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: High Harrogate Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
1. GRANBY ROAD
5338 GRANBY HOTEL
SE 3155 NW 17/12
C18 nucleus, refaced earlier C19 and incorporating former terraces of private
houses on east and west sides. Centre block of 3 storeys. Fenestration, 1:3:1.
Rendered. Slate roof. Cornice. Parapet. 2nd floor string. Plain 1st floor
band. Wide, original 3 storey splayed bay. Recessed sash windows with architraves
keys and some glazing bars. Cast iron balconies to 1st floor windows. Irregular
wings on east and west sides. 3 storeys and dormers. 3 windows each. Architraved
sash windows with keys and some glazing bars. West wing with prostyle portico
of coupled Corinthian columns. Further incorporation of existing houses on the
east and west sides.
The first inn built here in 1670 was called The Sinking Ship" and later the
"Royal Oak" when Blind Jack of Knaresborough played the fiddle there in 1736.
Known as the "Granby" from 1795.
Listing NGR: SE3138455682
Other nearby listed buildings