History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Folk Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in New Earswick, York

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9892 / 53°59'21"N

Longitude: -1.0735 / 1°4'24"W

OS Eastings: 460843

OS Northings: 455196

OS Grid: SE608551

Mapcode National: GBR NQY9.CQ

Mapcode Global: WHFBX.HZ0N

Entry Name: The Folk Hall

Listing Date: 12 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1315956

English Heritage Legacy ID: 328576

Location: New Earswick, York, YO32

County: York

Civil Parish: New Earswick

Built-Up Area: York

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Huntington All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Huntington

Listing Text

SE 6055 SE NEW EARSWICK HAWTHORNE TERRACE
(west side)


11/42 The Folk Hall


GV II


Village Hall, 1905-1908, with addition of 1935. By Parker and Unwin, for
Joseph Rowntree Village Trust. 1935 addition by Parker alone. Pebbledashed
and whitewashed brick, with French tile roof. Early C-shaped range to north
containing original hall and reading room, with later extension to south
containing new hall. North range: 2 storeys, 9 bays with central range
flanked by 2 side wings breaking forward at oblique angle. To centre:
recent flat-topped glazed porch flanked by 2 tall windows breaking roof line
lighting former hall. To left: an extension under a catslide roof contains
a half-glazed door with single-light fixed window and 2-light casement to
left and 2-light casement to right. Left wing: no ground-floor openings but
pair of dormers with hipped roofs. Right range: gabled extension to left
lit by recent casements. Central canted bay rising through 2 storeys to
gable end contains glazed double doors with overlight and sidelights flanked
by pairs of single-light fixed windows. Pairs of recent plate glass fixed
windows to left and right. First floor: central canted bay has mock timber
framing and a 5-light casement with half-height lights to sides. Plate
glass dormers to left and right. Canted bay with mock timber framing to
right gable and, with 6-light casements. Half hipped roof to right.
Bellcote to left. South extension: open hall under steeply-pitched roof lit
by dormers, 4 bays. Double door flanked by buttresses to left of centre
with 2-light casement flanked by single-light casements to left. To right:
pair of plate glass fixed windows flanked by buttresses First floor: 3
tall dormers with hipped roofs to right, and one low dormer with hipped roof
to left. Pair of external stacks to left. Central bellcote. Interior:
main hall in extension. Original hall in centre of earlier wing now divided
at first floor level. Other rooms include general purpose room, office and
meeting room.


Listing NGR: SE6084355196

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.