History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn and Attached Mill Approximately 20 Metres South East of Lowna Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Gillamoor, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3098 / 54°18'35"N

Longitude: -0.945 / 0°56'42"W

OS Eastings: 468735

OS Northings: 490977

OS Grid: SE687909

Mapcode National: GBR PLVL.6T

Mapcode Global: WHF9F.GX6Y

Entry Name: Barn and Attached Mill Approximately 20 Metres South East of Lowna Farmhouse

Listing Date: 24 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1316012

English Heritage Legacy ID: 328901

Location: Gillamoor, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO62

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Gillamoor

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Kirkbymoorside All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Gillamoor

Listing Text

GILLAMOOR LOWNA ROAD
SE 69 SE
(north side)
6/66 Barn and attached mill
approximately 20 metres
south-east of Lowna
Farmhouse
GV II
Barn and loose boxes with loft over; mill attached to rear. Mill of 1803
with earlier origins; extended c1840. Barn c1840. For Thomas Baxter.
Squared limestone with quoins; pantile and corrugated asbestos roof. Barn
range rectangular on plan, with bridge-type mill at right angles to rear.
Barn: 2-storey, 5-bay front. 2 stable doors on each side of a shuttered
square opening. Loft openings are square with board shutters to centre and
end right. All openings are rebated and have heavy tooled lintels. Left
gable end: flight of stone steps with board door below leads to loft door.
Diamond-shaped compass to gable apex with weather-vane in the form of a
female figure above. Mill: 1½-storey, 3-bay front, enclosed behind later
building. Board door to left and blocked doorway and window to right: 2
pitching windows to loft. Timber lintels to all openings. Interior:
machinery now dismantled but pit survives for high breast undershot wheel.
The mill was originally a cornmill until acquired by Thomas Baxter in 1801.
Thereafter it was used also for pumping the water required for operating the
Baxters' tannery which existed until 1914. An oak bark hoist and crusher,
bone-crushing machinery and a woodsaw were all powered by the mill. J T
Capron, "Lowna Mill, Gillmoor", The Ryedale Historian; 3 (1967), pp 42-44.


Listing NGR: SE6873590977

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.