History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Thixendale, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0387 / 54°2'19"N

Longitude: -0.7154 / 0°42'55"W

OS Eastings: 484221

OS Northings: 461070

OS Grid: SE842610

Mapcode National: GBR RPFQ.XZ

Mapcode Global: WHFBW.ZRG6

Entry Name: Church of Saint Mary

Listing Date: 10 October 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1316014

English Heritage Legacy ID: 328808

Location: Thixendale, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO17

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Thixendale

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Thixendale St Mary

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Thixendale

Listing Text

THIXENDALE MAIN STREET
SE 86 SW (south side)

7/104 Church of Saint Mary
1O.1O.66
GV II*

Church. 1868-1870 with vestry added 1875. By G E Street for Sir Tatton
Sykes. Ashlar, plain tile roof. High Victorian Gothic. 3-bay nave with
south aisle and north porch, 2-bay chancel with vestry to south. Plinth and
string course throughout. West end: low apsidal baptistry with trefoil-
headed window, flanked by stepped buttresses, with rose window above. To
right: 2-light pointed window with cinquefoil tracery to aisle. Porch:
moulded doorway with hood-mould with foliate stops. Trefoil-headed north
door beneath moulded pointed arch. Hood-mould with foliate stops, carried
on banded responds. Nave: 3-light pointed windows to north, single-light
trefoil-headed windows to south. Bell-cote to east end of nave. Chancel:
2-light pointed windows beneath hood-moulds with foliate stops to north. To
south: vestry with trefoil-headed door beneath hood-mould and small square-
headed window to left. East end: 3-light window with trefoil tracery
beneath hood-mould with foliate stops to chancel. Vestry: 3-light window
with trefoil and cinquefoil tracery beneath hood-mould with foliate stops to
left. 3 stepped trefoil-headed windows to right. Interior: 4-bay arcade on
piers of quatrefoil section. Fine carved wooden screen of 1873. Font and
pulpit with blind panelling. Stone reredos inlaid with green marble. Some
fine stained glass, that to east window by Burliston and Grylls, most of the
rest by Clayton and Bell. Hutchinson J and Joyce P, G E Street in East
Yorkshire, 1981. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, York and the East Riding, 1972.


Listing NGR: SE8422161070

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.