History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Aidan

A Grade II Listed Building in Gillamoor, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3024 / 54°18'8"N

Longitude: -0.95 / 0°56'59"W

OS Eastings: 468425

OS Northings: 490155

OS Grid: SE684901

Mapcode National: GBR PLTP.3G

Mapcode Global: WHF9M.C4V0

Entry Name: Church of St Aidan

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1316034

English Heritage Legacy ID: 328906

Location: Gillamoor, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO62

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Gillamoor

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Kirkbymoorside All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Gillamoor

Listing Text

GILLAMOOR VILLAGE
SE 69 SE
(north-east end)
6/71 Church of St Aidan
14.7.55
- II
Church. 1802, by James Smith; restored 1880. Squared limestone on
herringbone-tooled plinth, rendered on north side; finely tooled quoins and
dressings; stone flag roof. Bellcote of timber with lead and slate roof and
lead spire. West bellcote; continuous nave and chancel; south porch. To
west end, round-arched window containing paired lights with cusped, round
heads. Square section bellcote with paired round-headed louvred openings to
each face, surmounted by broach spire and fish weather-vane. To south,
gabled porch with round-arched opening and carved group in high relief
above. East of porch are 2 round-arched nave windows of paired lights with
cusped pointed heads; 2 similar square-headed windows to chancel. Between
nave windows 2 wall tablets commemorate the builder of the church:
Here lie deposited
the ashes of
JAMES SMITH
of Farndale
Stone Mason.
He was
A sound workman
-----
And in consequence selected
To rebuild this Chapel
Which he completed
With his own hands
In the Summer of 1802.
He died Oct 31, 1819
Aged 64 years.
There are no openings to north side and east end. All window openings are
quoined. Coped gables and gable cross to chancel. Interior: screen at west
end incorporates a balustrade of 1682, of turned undulating balusters
beneath a rail part carved with a stylised foliage frieze and part recording
the date and contemporary Church Wardens. A second balustrade of twisted
balusters c1700 forms the communion rail and rail to front of pews. Tub
font on C19 cylindrical pedestal. Double braced king-post roof.


Listing NGR: SE6842590155

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.