This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.2262 / 54°13'34"N
Longitude: -0.5552 / 0°33'18"W
OS Eastings: 494291
OS Northings: 482128
OS Grid: SE942821
Mapcode National: GBR SMKK.LS
Mapcode Global: WHGCB.F1WG
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 18 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1316111
English Heritage Legacy ID: 327328
Location: Brompton, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO13
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Brompton
Built-Up Area: Brompton-by-Sawdon
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Brompton-by-Sawdon All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 9380 BROMPTON-BY-SAWDON CHURCH LANE
13/9 Church of All Saints
Church. C14 west tower and nave; C15 arcade, south aisle and chancel; south
porch of 1895 in memory of Sir George Cayley. Dressed sandstone with slate
roof. West tower; 3-bay aisled nave; south porch; chancel and north chapel.
The 3-stage tower has diagonal off-set buttresses and a north-east vice.
Single light to lowest stage of west face, and single square-headed lights
to the second stage. Bell-openings are paired ogee-arched lights beneath
pointed stopped hood-moulds. Octagonal broach spire with lucarnes and
weather-vane. Embattled gabled porch has diagonal buttresses and 2-centred
arched opening beneath pointed hood-mould. Fine C14 studded and traceried
south door. Nave: 3-light Perpendicular windows. Buttressed north wall
incorporates portions of C13 masonry and a pointed doorway with imposts, one
with foliate moulding. 3 square-headed 2-light windows. Chancel: 3-light
Perpendicular windows to south; 2-light windows with renewed tracery to
north. Rebuilt east window of 3 lights. To the north of the window a C13
standing figure and a C14 seated figure have been reset in the masonry. The
north and south aisles and north chapel have embattled parapets; the parapet
to the nave south side and the chancel is plain. Coped east gable and gable
cross. Interior:.on the ground stage of the tower, springers for an
uncompleted vault survive. Narrow, pointed tower arch. Nave and chancel
arcade of double-chamfered pointed arches on octagonal piers with plain
capitals. Pointed chancel arch on half-octagonal responds. At the east end
of the south aisle two C12 scalloped capitals have been set into the wall.
Well-preserved painted organ case and gallery of 1893 by Temple Moore. C13
circular font with traces of cable moulding on a cylindrical pedestal.
Monuments. North aisle: a tablet dated 1580 to James Westrop; a wall brass
to Elizabeth Cayley, d1688. South aisle: wall monument to various members
of the Sawdon family who died between 1782 and 1820, by C Fisher of York;
wall tablet to Ann Harland, d1844, by Matthew Noble. Chancel south wall:
elaborate wall monument in high relief with broken pedimented surround and
Latin inscription to Sir William Cayley, d1681; bust to Elizabeth Sarah
Cayley, d1805, by Chambers of Scarborough. Stained glass: a window in the
south wall of the chancel, of 1885, which is a precise rendering of
Raphael's "Sermon of St Paul at Athens" from the Sistine Cartoons. William
Wordsworth was married in this church to Mary Hutchinson, on 4 October 1802.
N Pevsner, The Buildings of England; Yorkshire, The North Riding, 1966; p89.
Listing NGR: SE9429282129
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings