History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Hilda

A Grade II Listed Building in Egton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.4413 / 54°26'28"N

Longitude: -0.7533 / 0°45'11"W

OS Eastings: 480951

OS Northings: 505811

OS Grid: NZ809058

Mapcode National: GBR RK52.QP

Mapcode Global: WHF8Y.DMJM

Entry Name: Church of St Hilda

Listing Date: 6 October 1969

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1316158

English Heritage Legacy ID: 327485

Location: Egton, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO21

County: North Yorkshire

District: Scarborough

Civil Parish: Egton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Egton St Hilda

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Egton

Listing Text

EGTON EGTON VILLAGE
NZ8005-8105
(east side)
16/15 Church of St. Hilda
6.10.69
GV II
Church. 1878-79. Architect E H Smales, at the expense of the Foster
family. Tooled sandstone on chamfered plinth; sandstone ashlar
dressings, and stone slate roof. South-west tower; 5-bay aisled nave;
chancel, organ chamber and vestry. The combination of Neo-Norman and
Perpendicular styles reflects the form of the earlier church originally
located elsewhere in the parish.
Tower: 3 stages with offset angle buttresses and stair turret to south
west. Trefoil-headed opening to south, with double doors and decorative
ironwork. Nave south door recessed beneath round arch with chevron and
roll mouldings, on attached shafts with waterleaf capitals. Second stage
south and east faces have arcades of blind round arches, with clock faces
above. Paired louvred bell openings, recessed in moulded round arches on
shafts with scalloped capitals, to all faces. Lombard frieze beneath
saddleback roof with pierced roundels in gable ends, and cresting. Half-
octagonal stair turret has chamfered rounded lights and hipped roof
beneath belfry. West end: buttressed nave gable wall flanked by angle-
buttressed aisle ends. Stepped 3-light west window with single light
above. Each light recessed in chevron-moulded round arch on shafts with
waterleaf capitals and continuous rolled hoodmoulds. Three cruciform
slits in gable apex. Single unmoulded round-headed windows in aisle ends
above continuous sillmould running right across west end. Coped pent
roofs to aisles. Nave, north and south sides: round-headed windows in
double-chamfered openings beneath semicircular hoodmoulds, separated by
offset buttresses. Chancel: pointed priest's door with hoodmould on south
side, to east of square-headed window of two cusped lights with flat
hoodmould. Similar window further east. On north side, buttressed twin
crossgables project, each with square-headed window of paired lancets over
dropped sillmould. Eastern crossgable contains quatrefoil light in
circular surround with semicircular hoodmould. Vestry stack rises from
base of chancel roof. East end: east window of three cusped lights
beneath shallow 2-centred arch and hoodmould. Continuous sillmould.
Glazed quatrefoil in circular architrave in gable end, beneath continuous
rounded hoodmould. Three cruciform slits above. Carved Foster arms over
lintel of basement boiler-room door. All gables coped; gable crosses at
east end, nave and tower. Finials to chancel crossgables.
Interior. In tower porch 1901 clock commemorating Queen Victoria, given
by Abraham Foster. North and south arcades of stepped round arches on
cylindrical piers with high plinths, beneath continuous hoodmould.
2-centred chancel arch of two orders on attached shafts with annulets and
foliate capitals. Fine reredos of Caen stone and alabaster with relief
carvings and traceried panels. Octagonal piscina carved with fleurs-de-
lys in cusped and crocketed niche. Elaborate font of Caen stone on marble
shafts. Marble cartouche World War I memorial tablet on north aisle wall,
carved with foliage, scrolls and angel heads. Baluster Arms Box made from
oak from H.M.S.Victory, presented to the church in 1928. Carved Royal
Arms over south door. Hammerbeam roof with embattled, moulded ties and
traceried spandrels.


Listing NGR: NZ8095105811

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.