History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ash Tree Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Goathland, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.4028 / 54°24'10"N

Longitude: -0.719 / 0°43'8"W

OS Eastings: 483254

OS Northings: 501569

OS Grid: NZ832015

Mapcode National: GBR RKFJ.4H

Mapcode Global: WHF94.XLSM

Entry Name: Ash Tree Cottage

Listing Date: 7 July 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1316176

English Heritage Legacy ID: 327583

Location: Goathland, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO22

County: North Yorkshire

District: Scarborough

Civil Parish: Goathland

Built-Up Area: Goathland

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Goathland St Mary

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Beck Hole

Listing Text

GOATHLAND GOATHLAND VILLAGE
NZ824005
20/107 Ash Tree Cottage
- II
Railway building, now private house. c.1836, with later alteration and
extension. For the Whitby to Pickering Railway Company. Vertically-
tooled sandstone, once colour-washed, on deep plinth. Slate roof and
brick stack. Originally cruciform on plan. 1-storey, 3-bay front, the
left bay recessed. Board door in round-arched doorway in left bay.
Centre bay has tripartite window with centre sliding sash beneath
segmental lintel. In right bay is a 2-light, 4-pane casement beneath
glazed round head with vertical glazing bars, in round-arched opening.
Blocked doorway in left return of projecting bays. Openings all have
rounded arrises, and windows have tooled stone sills. Overhanging eaves
to hipped roof with apex stack. Both returns have two round-arched,
2-light windows with casements or horizontal sliding sashes. Building was
probably the original Bank Top railway station serving the water-driven
rope hoist which hauled the early horse-drawn coaches up the adjacent
steep Incline. It passed into private ownership c.1913.


Listing NGR: NZ8325401569

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.