This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.4603 / 54°27'36"N
Longitude: -0.5785 / 0°34'42"W
OS Eastings: 492242
OS Northings: 508139
OS Grid: NZ922081
Mapcode National: GBR SJDV.KW
Mapcode Global: WHGB5.25S0
Entry Name: Barn and Horse Engine House Approximately 30 Metres South East of Long Lease Farmhouse
Listing Date: 7 July 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1316183
English Heritage Legacy ID: 327621
Location: Hawsker-cum-Stainsacre, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO22
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Hawsker-cum-Stainsacre
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hawsker cum Stainsacre All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
HAWSKER-CUM-STAINSACRE HAWSKER LANE
NZ 90 NW
5/145 Barn and horse
Barn and horse engine house converted into a house. Barn early 19th century with horse engine house added between 1853 and 1892, conversion from 1996 for domestic use, still uncompleted by 2006. Barn constructed in partly tooled and partly squared sandstone, horse engine house with piers in red brick with sandstone caps. New pantile roof covering similar to original with sandstone coping and ridges.
Central section of the barn open to the roof with a gallery on south east side linking the rooms in the roof space at either end of the building. The barn is believed to have originally been subdivided with mezzanines at both ends with a central area open to the roof. Current subdivisions and flooring formed during the conversion. The horse engine house is hexagonal and attached to the southern end of the north east side of the barn. It remains open to its roof.
All windows are modern timber frames without glazing bars or other embellishment. South west elevation with near central former doorway, now a window with boarding below to retain the original form of the opening. Pitching window to right now repositioned with a second inserted to match. Two ventilation slits now blocked internally. North west gable end with former door now a window with boarding below, pitching window above at attic level. Coping terminates with plain kneelers. North east elevation with new plank door in original opening, ventilation slit to right, horse engine house to left. Horse engine house with spaces between the brick piers now infilled with glazing on the three sides away from the barn, the sides immediately adjacent to the barn infilled with vertical timber boarding.
South east gable wall with single pitching style windows at ground and attic floor levels. Coping terminates with plain kneelers.
The barn's roof structure, not thought to be original, was replaced during the conversion. Roof and walls mainly concealed by plaster. Horse engine house retains much of its original roof structure, sympathetically repaired. Also retains the principal tie beam and two secondary beams associated with the former horse engine. This includes part of the bearing for the vertical axel. These beams have also been sympathetically repaired. The wall of the barn facing the horse engine house is exposed as are the principal rafters and purlins of the roof.
The barn is shown on the 1853 1:10560 Ordnance survey map, with the horse engine house added by the next map edition (the 1892 1:2,500 map). Note that the nearby Scarborough and Whitby Railway opened in the 1880s, possibly prompting the addition of the horse engine house and the use of bricks in its construction.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE
Although now no longer in agricultural use, this former 19th century barn and horse engine house retains its distinctive plan form and plain external appearance, clearly indicating its earlier use. The survival of framework and roof structure in the hexagonal horse engine house is especially notable. The importance of the building is further enhanced by the survival of other (also listed) buildings of Long Lease Farm just across the road. The conversion of the building to domestic use has been undertaken within the Listed Building Consent system.
Listing NGR: NZ9224208141
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings