This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.4777 / 54°28'39"N
Longitude: -0.568 / 0°34'4"W
OS Eastings: 492883
OS Northings: 510093
OS Grid: NZ928100
Mapcode National: GBR SJGN.TM
Mapcode Global: WHG9Z.7QR5
Entry Name: Whitby High Light
Listing Date: 7 July 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1316184
English Heritage Legacy ID: 327625
Location: Hawsker-cum-Stainsacre, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO22
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Hawsker-cum-Stainsacre
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hawsker cum Stainsacre All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
HAWSKER-CUM-STAINSACRE LING HILL
NZ 91 SW
1/149 Whitby High Light
Lighthouse and attached keepers' cottages. 1857-58; cottages extended in
C20. By James Walker for Trinity House. Red brick, rendered and painted
white; green-painted chamfered plinth and dressings. Painted corrugated
iron lantern with painted iron gallery. Brass fittings. Slate roofs to
cottages. Landward front: 1-stage octagonal tower with basement and
lantern, flanked by linking bays to 1-storey, 2-window cottage fronts.
Tower has 2-light window recessed in deeply splayed opening in lower stage.
Above, a relief moulding of Trinity House arms. Gallery of horizontal
railings and square-section standards with bulb and mushroom finials,on
shaped corbels, encircles tower at lantern level. Lantern surmounted by
conical cap, finial and weathervane. Linking bays have 4-panel doors
beneath bracketed flat hoods. Cottage fronts have 4-pane sashes with
painted sills. Cottage roofs are pyramidal with conjoined stacks at apex.
Interior of tower. Basement (formerly oilroom) fitted with curved staging
and furniture. Ground floor (formerly service room) has fitted furniture
and contains encased clock weights for occulting mechanism in lantern.
Lantern retains gallery and stairs with foliate brackets and standards
respectively. Outer-door handle is traditional grasping hand. Replacement
catadioptric lens of 1890 still in use, and the occulting mechanism of same
date survives as back-up system to present light. Cottage extensions and
peripheral buildings not of special interest. D.B.Hague and R.Christie,
Lighthouses: Their Architecture, History and Archaeology. D.Jackson,
Lighthouses of England and Wales. Trinity House leaflet, Whitby.
Listing NGR: NZ9288310093
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings