This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.4474 / 54°26'50"N
Longitude: -0.9279 / 0°55'40"W
OS Eastings: 469619
OS Northings: 506309
OS Grid: NZ696063
Mapcode National: GBR PKY0.XH
Mapcode Global: WHF8V.QGBW
Entry Name: Church of St Hilda
Listing Date: 6 October 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1316255
English Heritage Legacy ID: 327939
Location: Danby, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO21
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Danby
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Danby with Castleton and Commondale
Church of England Diocese: York
NZ 60 NE DANBY DANBY DALE
6/21 Church of
Church. C14 tower-porch. Nave rebuilt 1789, chancel added 1848
possibly by Butterfield; restoration by Temple Moore in 1903.
Sandstone, the tower large square blocks, nave finely-coursed tooled
blocks, chancel ashlar. Graduated Lakeland slate roof with ridged
stone copings, finials and gable crosses. Aisled nave with south
porch/tower, chancel with short north vestry. West end has 2
stout buttresses flanking large round-headed window with triple
keystone and impost blocks; oculus above; small square-headed aisle
end windows. At north-west corner external stair to gallery added
1808 (dated on plaque inside window). Plinth around nave; tall
keyed round-arched aisle windows. South tower of one tall stage
with diagonal buttresses, eaves string with prominent waterspouts
to east and west and battlemented parapet with corner pinnacles.
Short extruded west vice with tiny window. Hollow-chamfered,
segment-headed doorway. Single tiny light above and paired bell
openings with cusped heads. Chancel in Early English style with
narrow lancets to north and south and 3-light east window with
plate tracery head. Pent vestry under continuous roof. Asymmetrical:
vestry and east end each have one straight and one diagonal stepped
Interior plastered. 4-bay nave. Very tall double-chamfered pointed
arcade on round piers, rebuilt by Temple Moore but leaving most of
one capital to show the reconstruction was correct. C19 king-post
nave roof and arch-braced chancel roof. Panelled west gallery.
Minton tiles in chancel and raised sanctuary. In porch and inside
door boards giving names of subscribers to the school and benefactors
of the parish from C17 to early C19. Medieval grave cover in porch.
Pevsner, N. Riding p. 135.
Listing NGR: NZ6961906309
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings