This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7088 / 53°42'31"N
Longitude: -1.021 / 1°1'15"W
OS Eastings: 464720
OS Northings: 424044
OS Grid: SE647240
Mapcode National: GBR PT9K.R7
Mapcode Global: WHFDH.912L
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 17 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1316358
English Heritage Legacy ID: 326461
Location: Carlton, Selby, North Yorkshire, DN14
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Carlton
Built-Up Area: Carlton (Selby)
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Drax St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 62 SW CARLTON HIGH STREET
9/11 Church of St Mary
Church. 1861-6. AD 1862 on tower buttress. By J B Atkinson. Sandstone
with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof. 2-stage south-west tower with
spire, 6-bay nave with south porch and north vestry, 3-bay chancel. Gothic
Revival with Geometrical tracery throughout. Tower has offset angle
buttresses, stair turret with plank door in shouldered surround and 3-light
window to south side under hoodmould and with nook-shafts. Second stage has
twin-light bell openings. Octagonal splay-footed spire. Entrance to south
porch a plank door within trefoiled surround with foliate decoration on
spandrels. 2 orders of nook-shafts support roll moulding under hoodmould.
Nave and vestry have offset buttresses. Pointed north door under hoodmould.
2- and 3-light pointed windows throughout under hoodmoulds. Chancel has
diagonal buttresses. Pointed priests' door to south side. Single-light
windows under hoodmoulds and with continuous sill band. 4-light window to
east end under hoodmould, quatrefoil to gable. Interior. Nave has hammer
beam roof on corbel shafts with foliate capitals. Pointed chancel arch with
traceried screen. Trefoiled piscina. Wall monuments to Miles Thomas
Stapleton, 8th Baron Beaumont, d1854, by P Macdowell RA, Baroque wall
monument to Nicholas and Mary Stapleton, erected 1738. N Pevsner,
Yorkshire, The West Riding, 1979, p 157.
Listing NGR: SE6472024044
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings