History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hunmanby, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1813 / 54°10'52"N

Longitude: -0.3224 / 0°19'20"W

OS Eastings: 509584

OS Northings: 477470

OS Grid: TA095774

Mapcode National: GBR VN62.0W

Mapcode Global: WHHDS.05RC

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 30 June 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1316442

English Heritage Legacy ID: 326981

Location: Hunmanby, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO14

County: North Yorkshire

District: Scarborough

Civil Parish: Hunmanby

Built-Up Area: Hunmanby

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Hunmanby All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Hunmanby

Listing Text

TA 09 77 HUNMANBY CHURCH HILL
(east side)

12/44 Church of All Saints

30.6.66
GV II*


Church. Late Cll, with C13 north aisle; C12 tower with C15 upper stage;
porch and partly rebuilt chancel of C18; restorations of 1845 and 1904.
Coursed rubble sandstone and sandstone ashlar; tiled roof. West tower,
5-bay nave with north aisle , south porch, and chancel. Unbuttressed square
tower has slit windows to lowest stage, 2-light window under a rounded
hoodmould to second stage, and 2-light bell openings under square hoodmould
to third stage. South doorway is contained within a cobbled porch with a
round arch beneath a coped, pointed gable and finial. Nave windows with C19
Curvilinear tracery. Buttresses with off-sets. South wall of chancel
contains a reset Priest's Door flanked by single light windows with trefoil
heads under under stopped hoodmoulds. The west window has C19 Decorated
tracery. In the north wall of the nave fragments of crosses and a Saxon
cross-head have been reused in the masonry. Interior: nave arcade is of
alternately octagonal and cylindrical piers with pointed, double-champfered
arches, The responds to the round chancel arch are single shafts with
scalloped capitals. Other fittings include a Chain Bible of 1541; part of a
plain round Norman font in the chancel; numerous hatchments including a
Royal Arms of 1745; commandment and psalm boards, and a charity board of
1825. Monuments: the Osbaldeston family of 1770 by J Fisher of York; the
Staveley family of 1771.


Listing NGR: TA0958477470

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.