This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.158 / 54°9'28"N
Longitude: -0.2633 / 0°15'47"W
OS Eastings: 513501
OS Northings: 474971
OS Grid: TA135749
Mapcode National: GBR VNLC.S7
Mapcode Global: WHHDS.XRS8
Entry Name: Reighton Hall
Listing Date: 11 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1316447
English Heritage Legacy ID: 327016
Location: Reighton, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO14
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Reighton
Built-Up Area: Reighton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Reighton St Peter
Church of England Diocese: York
TA 17 SW REIGHTON A165
(east side, off)
8/79 Reighton Hall
House. 1730-40; remodelled c.1810 for Sir William Strickland, probably by
Thomas Cundy. 2-storey, 6-bay front. Entrance bay breaks forward slightly
and contains a part-glazed and panelled door beneath a Doric bowed porch
with modillion cornice. 12-pane sashes throughout, with stone sills and
wedge lintels. Modillion eaves cornice. Rear: round-headed, radial glazed
staircase window to right of centre. Canted bay at end right is a C20
insertion. End and centre stacks. Interior: C19 doorcases, panelling and
ceiling moulding survive in ground floor main rooms and first floor room to
right. Three C18 chimney pieces by Henry Cheere reset in same rooms. Open-
string, geometrical staircase with stick balusters, shaped cheekpieces and
moulded, wreathed handrail. Sir W. Strickland was brother of Henry E.
Strickland who published Agriculture of the East Riding of Yorkshire in
1812. Hugh E. Strickland, geologist and naturalist was born here in 1811.
Listing NGR: TA1350174971
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings