This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.2131 / 54°12'47"N
Longitude: -0.2874 / 0°17'14"W
OS Eastings: 511778
OS Northings: 481065
OS Grid: TA117810
Mapcode National: GBR VMFQ.KG
Mapcode Global: WHHDL.KCBH
Entry Name: Church of St Oswald
Listing Date: 24 October 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1316455
English Heritage Legacy ID: 326943
Location: Filey, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO14
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Filey
Built-Up Area: Filey
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Filey St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: York
TA 11 81 FILEY CHURCH CLIFF DRIVE
(south-east side, off)
10/6 Church of St Oswald
Church. C12 and C13 with C15 battlements; restored and partly rebuilt in
1885 by W S Barber; roof partly rebuilt in 1908 after a fire; C19 south
porch; C20 vestry and north porch. Dressed sandstone; slate and lead roofs.
6-bay aisled nave with clerestory, transepts and crossing tower, chancel and
north and south porches. 2-stage, embattled crossing tower with 2-light
pointed bell openings under a round-headed arch; countinuous sill band.
South door to nave of four orders with moulded round arches interrupted by
later inserted stoup. Vertical slit window in west end, originally intended
to light a west tower stair turret. Impost band to aisles and nave.
Transepts have stepped angle buttresses and a continuous sill band. Chancel
has a pointed Priest's Door under a corbelled dripmould in south wall, with
a mass clock and C17 bronze sundial inscribed in Greek to the right. Group
of 3 stepped lancets in the east end, under a continuous hoodmould.
Diagonal butresses. Lancet windows throughout, those in the chancel and
transepts dating from C12/C13, the remainder from C19. Embattled parapet
over corbel table throughout. Interior: nave arcades have tripartite
responds with the middle shaft keeled, alternating round and octagonal piers
with moulded capitals and chamfered pointed arches. Deeply-splayed round-
headed clerestory openings; similar openings at west end of north aisle.
Sedilia with trefoil head to chancel and south transept; piscina to each
transept. Other furnishings include; a late C13 carved wooden figure in the
south aisle; a sealed altar slab carved with 5 crosses in the sanctuary; a
C13 plain bowl font on a cylindrical shaft; a hatchment over the north door.
Listing NGR: TA1177581068
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings