This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2124 / 53°12'44"N
Longitude: -1.6779 / 1°40'40"W
OS Eastings: 421608
OS Northings: 368418
OS Grid: SK216684
Mapcode National: GBR 57S.NLT
Mapcode Global: WHCD7.6J85
Entry Name: Ivy House
Listing Date: 13 March 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1316494
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468206
Location: Bakewell, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE45
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Bakewell
Built-Up Area: Bakewell
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Bakewell All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK2168 SOUTH CHURCH STREET
831-1/4/164 (South side)
13/03/51 Ivy House
House. Mid C17 with remodelled facade dated 1743 on rain-water
head. Roughly-coursed limestone with ashlar sandstone
dressings; Welsh slate and stone slate roofs.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with cellar and attics, 5-window range;
parallel 2-window range to rear centre. Facade with large
quoins; mostly 2/4 sashes. Door to bay 2 has 6-panel door (top
panels glazed) in moulded architrave beneath segmental
pediment on shaped brackets. Lightly-chamfered 2-light
mullioned windows to each bay; bay 3 window is smaller. First
floor: bays 1 and 2 have square-faced surrounds to mullioned
2-light windows; bay 3 with 3/6 sash in architrave with double
keystone; bay 4 has C17 double-chamfered 2-light mullioned
window. Moulded eaves cornice breaks forward over bay 3 window
as does a corniced ashlar parapet with panel and end dies.
Decorative rain-water hoppers to each end of facade have
initials, bird motif and date '1743'; right downpipe is of
lead. Coped end gables; 2 renewed ashlar ridge stacks with
bands; small end stack on right. Bay 5 is lower and has
2-light casement beneath 6/6 sash.
Rear: C17 block to rear centre has large quoins and gable on
left. Door to left of centre; 2-light mullioned window to left
has 2/4 sashes; various other casements with glazing bars,
that to first-floor right in C17 double-chamfered surround.
Shaped kneelers and chamfered gable copings; external end
stack on right with ashlar shaft.
Left return: front range has 2-storey canted bay window with
8/8 sash to each floor.
INTERIOR: cellar with stone slabs and access into cave to
rear. Ground floor centre has 2 stone fireplaces and
stop-chamfered oak beams. Pantry to far right with crinoidal
limestone slab and stone trough.
Left end room with pine Neo-classical-style fireplace with
swags; fielded-panel window reveals; moulded ceiling cornice.
Oak stairs with splat balusters of differing designs; various
oak studding and beams in the stair area.
First-floor right room with oak boarded floor and C17 moulded
ashlar fireplace with triangular-headed lintel; ledged and
boarded oak door.
Far left room with C18 iron grate in eared wooden architrave
with dentilled cornice and swags on panel; fielded panel
window reveals; coved ceiling.
Rear-left room with oak boards and iron grate in corniced
ashlar surround. Attic stair has broad splat balusters and
newel post with finial. Exposed oak purlins in attic and a
cupboard with butterfly hinges.
Listing NGR: SK2160868418
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings