This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2175 / 53°13'2"N
Longitude: -1.6681 / 1°40'5"W
OS Eastings: 422258
OS Northings: 368985
OS Grid: SK222689
Mapcode National: GBR 57S.C2R
Mapcode Global: WHCD7.BDX8
Entry Name: Former Bakewell Railway Station
Listing Date: 28 January 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1316505
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468213
Location: Bakewell, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE45
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Bakewell
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Bakewell All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK2268 STATION ROAD
831-1/5/175 (West side)
28/01/94 Former Bakewell Railway Station
Railway station now offices. 1861-62. By Edward Walker for the
Midland Railway. Deeply-coursed dressed sandstone with ashlar
dressings; patterned Welsh slate roof.
EXTERIOR: single storey, 4:3:4-bay symmetrical entrance front.
Advanced gabled open porch supported on ornamental cast-iron
columns; decorative wooden frieze. Central double doors and
large overlight flanked by large margin-glazed sashes all
beneath segmental arches. Outer bays have sill band to smaller
margin-glazed sashes beneath lintel band which becomes the
imposts of the central 3 bays. Bold eaves projection on shaped
wooden brackets. Tall ashlar end stacks and 2 ridge stacks
with stepped bases and caps.
Former platform side: shallow canted parapet above blind
arcade of stepped segmental arches originally enclosed beneath
the multiple ridges of the platform canopy; carved foliage
ornament to corbelled imposts. Beneath the 2 central arches
are stone columns which support smaller arches above door and
INTERIOR: decorative plasterwork to ceilings. A fireplace in
the former booking hall; decorative arch-braced ceiling. Some
HISTORY: the line opened 1st August 1862 following the Midland
Railway (Rowsley and Buxton) Act of 25th May 1860; closed
1967. Notable example of Midland Railway architecture in an
area of Derbyshire where railway design was influenced by the
Dukes of Rutland and Devonshire.
Listing NGR: SK2225868985
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings