This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3195 / 52°19'10"N
Longitude: 1.1505 / 1°9'1"E
OS Eastings: 614813
OS Northings: 273716
OS Grid: TM148737
Mapcode National: GBR TJL.HPS
Mapcode Global: VHL9F.WYKR
Entry Name: Stayer House
Listing Date: 15 June 1951
Last Amended: 12 February 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1316595
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468305
Location: Eye, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP23
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Eye
Built-Up Area: Eye (Mid Suffolk)
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Eye St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM1473 CASTLE STREET
585-1/7/53 (South side)
(Formerly Listed as:
House. Medieval hall house to front extended in late C16 into
surviving timber-framed rear range running north-south. Block
in south-east angle added c1650. Hall house replaced in mid
C18 with brick front range, itself refronted c1820. Single
storey banking hall constructed against east return early C19.
(Whitewashed brick laid in Flemish bond to front, timber-frame
to rear). Red and black-glazed pantiled roof to front range,
plaintiles to rear wing.
EXTERIOR: facade of 2 storeys. 5-window range. 6-panelled
central door with Y-traceried fanlight. Projecting porch on
two pairs of Ionic columns supporting plain entablature. Two
6/6 unhorned sashes right and left. First floor with five 3/6
unhorned sashes, the centre window with an arched head. Double
modillion eaves cornice below plain parapet partly concealing
twin hipped roofs. 2 stacks in centre valley. Banking hall
under hipped slate roof: tall 3-light casement with glazing
bars to north, doorway in east return. Rear wing of 2 storeys.
West side is a 7-window range. Exposed studwork. Fenestration
of 2-light and 3-light leaded casements, most with hood
moulds. 2 eastern framing bays converted to external loggia.
Gabled roof with internal gable-end stack to north. South
gable wall of brick, against which is a single-storey lean-to.
East face of this wing has a brick ground floor.
INTERIOR: between rear wing and front block remains arched
exterior door of former hall house. Front block. North room
with bolection-moulded fireplace and 6-panelled doors. Rear
room with marble fireplace with Ionic columns, re-sited mid
C20. Closed-string early C19 staircase with stick balusters
and ramped handrail. Rear first-floor east room with domed
ceiling plastered over flat in late C20. C17 south-east block
in angle with two principal ranges has a sunk-quadrant moulded
bridging beam. Former banking hall converted to kitchen during
World War II. Rear wing. Ground floor opened into one large
room. Frame with chamfered principal posts with splayed tops
supporting chamfered bridging beams. Wide fireplace with plain
bressumer. Clasped purlin roof.
Listing NGR: TM1481373716
Other nearby listed buildings