This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3204 / 52°19'13"N
Longitude: 1.1513 / 1°9'4"E
OS Eastings: 614865
OS Northings: 273817
OS Grid: TM148738
Mapcode National: GBR TJL.HX1
Mapcode Global: VHL9F.XY02
Entry Name: The Guildhall
Listing Date: 15 June 1951
Last Amended: 12 February 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1316621
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468331
Location: Eye, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP23
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Eye
Built-Up Area: Eye (Mid Suffolk)
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Eye St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM1473 CHURCH STREET
585-1/7/78 (East side)
15/06/51 The Guildhall
(Formerly Listed as:
Guildhall of St Mary or Upson's
Guildhall of St Mary, now offices and shop. Late C15, probably
for John Upson. Rebuilt 1875 by JK Colling as headmaster's
house for adjoining Eye Grammar school until 1965, now offices
and shop. Timber-framed; machine tile roofs. Nearly
rectangular plan with a short west extension.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. West gable-end faces street.
Exposed close studding throughout. First floor jettied to
south and west. South flank with 5 two- and 3-light casements
to ground floor and 4 to first floor, 3 of which are
elaborated into oriels on heavily carved aprons. Gabled roof
with clustered decorative ridge stack and internal gable-end
stack to east. West gable with 4-light ground-floor casement,
oriel window above fitted with single-light leaded casements
on a richly carved apron and with a hipped plaintile roof.
3-light attic casement. Brattished jetty bressumer and attic
wall plate. South-west corner post has weathered C15 carved
figure of Archangel Gabriel, and south flank retains two
4-centred window heads with carved spandrels. All other timber
INTERIOR: heavy hollow-moulded tie beams on arched braces,
also hollow-moulded. Plan is of 1875.
(Paine C: The History of Eye: Diss: 1993-: 34-40).
Listing NGR: TM1486573817
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings