This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.8332 / 53°49'59"N
Longitude: -1.1235 / 1°7'24"W
OS Eastings: 457779
OS Northings: 437790
OS Grid: SE577377
Mapcode National: GBR NSL3.KN
Mapcode Global: WHDBJ.QX59
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 17 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1316657
English Heritage Legacy ID: 325869
Location: Cawood, Selby, North Yorkshire, YO8
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Cawood
Built-Up Area: Cawood
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Cawood All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 5737 CAWOOD CHURCH END
9/8 Church of All Saints
17.11.66 (Formerly listed
Church. C12-C15 with C19 and C20 rebuilding and restoration. Magnesian
limestone ashlar with red plain tile roof and stone slates to porch.
2-bay chancel, 4-bay aisled nave, south porch and south-west tower. C13
chancel with C14 north aisle now vestry with straight-headed windows
with Perpendicular tracery. To south side 2 lancet windows and badly-
weathered door with roll moulding and remains of moulded capitals. The
second bay shows blocked arcade indicating removal of former chapel.
5-light pointed Perpendicular east window. Nave: 3-light, flat-arched
trefoil-headed windows. Mid-late C12 gable-ended west wall has recut
transitional doorway of 2 orders and nookshafts with waterleaf capitals.
Door has decorative strap hinges. South porch rebuilt in 1935 covers
original round-arched door with partly recut head. Early C15 bell tower
in 3 stages has polygonal angle buttresses surmounted by crockets to
first stage and diagonal buttresses with set-offs above. Ogee-arched
3-light window to ground floor with restored Perpendicular tracery.
First stage: crocketed nodding-ogee-headed niche containing C20 statue
of the Blesses Virgin Mary on pedestal; to north and south trefoiled
lights under flat arches with drip moulds. Recessed bell stage:
3-light ogee-arched bell openings with restored Perpendicular tracery
under drip moulds with carved stops. String-course, buttresses,
battlements and angle pinnacles. Interior: chancel arcade of double-
chamfered arches on octagonal piers. Nave: C13 south arcade of double-
chamfered arches on quatrefoil piers with water-holding bases and
moulded capitals. Mid C14 tower arch. Wall monument to George
Mountain, Archbishop of York d.1623, with life-size frontal demi-figure.
Pevsner, N., Yorkshire, The West Riding, 1979, pp 159-60.
Listing NGR: SE5777937798
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings