History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Askham Richard, York

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9255 / 53°55'31"N

Longitude: -1.1838 / 1°11'1"W

OS Eastings: 453697

OS Northings: 448013

OS Grid: SE536480

Mapcode National: GBR NR51.JK

Mapcode Global: WHDB3.SLHJ

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 12 July 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1316686

English Heritage Legacy ID: 325921

Location: Askham Richard, York, YO23

County: York

Civil Parish: Askham Richard

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Marston Moor

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Bilbrough

Listing Text

NORTH YORKSHIRE
SELBY
5342

SE 54 NW ASKHAM RICHARD JACKSON'S WALK
(east side)

2/4 Church of St Mary

GV II*

Church. Late C12 with earlier origins, restored 1879. Magnesian limestone
ashlar and sandstone with plain tile roof. Continuous nave with no chancel,
south porch, north vestry. Nave: Norman south side has 3 irregularly-spaced
round-headed windows under hood-moulds. To east a buttress and round-arched
doorway. South porch of 1879 with 2 orders of eroded nook shafts contains
late Norman doorway with 2 orders of nook shafts, all with water-leaf
capitals except one which is scalloped, supporting arch decorated with roll-
moulding, under hood-mould with mask stops and with mask at apex. Chamfered
eaves band to first 2 bays. North side: restored in C19. 2 similar windows
without hood-mould. C19 vestry under catslide roof with late Victorian
chimney and inserted round-arched Saxon doorway in west end. West gable:
restored in C19. Tall, single-light, round-headed window. Slightly
projecting bell-turret supported by modillion band. Round-headed bell-
opening under hood-mould. Cross at apex. East end: restored in C19.
Ashlar plinth. Group of 3 stepped round-arched windows, under continuous
hood-mould. Round window above. All (chamfered) architraves and hood-
moulds renewed. Interior: renewed in C19. Base of cross decorated with
serpent design found in 1879. The Saxon doorway now in vestry was found in
tile north wall during restoration and re-assembled.


Listing NGR: SE5369748013

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.