This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.9445 / 53°56'40"N
Longitude: -2.0416 / 2°2'29"W
OS Eastings: 397366
OS Northings: 449821
OS Grid: SD973498
Mapcode National: GBR GQ5T.SR
Mapcode Global: WHB7F.M30X
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 31 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1316758
English Heritage Legacy ID: 324432
Location: Carleton, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Carleton
Built-Up Area: Carleton-in-Craven
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SD 97 49 CARLETON CHURCH ROAD
10/53 Church of St Mary
Parish church, 1859. By F H Pownall in a vigorous Gothic. Rock-faced stone and
stone slate roof. 5-bay nave with aisles, lower 2-bay chancel, west tower and
south porch. The detail is mostly Geometrical, with east window of 5 lights,
west window of 4 lights, and cinquefoil windows to the clerestorey. Cusped lights
to aisles, paired and in threes, and 2-light cusped bell-openings. Tower of 4
stages with trefoil-headed west doorway, diagonal buttress to northwest corner
and angle buttresses to southwest which embrace a square turret, splayed back
to an octagon above and ending in a pyramidal stone roof.
Interior: The nave roof is of arch-braced collars and the chancel has a wagon
roof. Arcades on columns and moulded chancel arch. Contemporary fittings except
plain Norman font; east window with Tree of Jesse by Clayton and Bell, and west
window with good Te Deum of c 1900.
Listing NGR: SD9736649821
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings