History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Spence's Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Carleton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9432 / 53°56'35"N

Longitude: -2.0391 / 2°2'20"W

OS Eastings: 397531

OS Northings: 449672

OS Grid: SD975496

Mapcode National: GBR GQ6V.B7

Mapcode Global: WHB7F.N46Y

Entry Name: Spence's Court

Listing Date: 10 September 1954

Last Amended: 31 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1316760

English Heritage Legacy ID: 324441

Location: Carleton, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

Civil Parish: Carleton

Built-Up Area: Carleton-in-Craven

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Carleton

Listing Text

SD 9749 CARLETON MAIN STREET

10/62 Spence's Court (formerly
listed under Skipton
10.9.54 Road as Spence's
Hospital)

GV II

Almshouses, 1693 renovated 1872, and altered 1974. Rubble with dressed stone
and stone slate roof. Compact U-plan. Two storeys. Coped gables with kneelers
and four stacks. The detail of the external walls dates largely from 1974 when
wide boxed sashes were placed in the east wall and some casements in the others.
Splayed stone surrounds to windows in gable walls. The courtyard is closed by
a short wall with large panelled gatepiers, carrying simple wrought iron gates
that may be original. The piers have pulvinated friezes, moulded cornices and
ball finials. Immediately behind the gates stone steps lead to a wooden gallery
carried on octagonal wooden columns, now carried across the far wall but originally
interrupted. Four doors to ground floor have architraves as has the larger door
of the chapel in the far walls. Two doors inserted across the corners of the
courtyard are now blocked. The interiors have been altered to provide 8 units
with a warden's flat in the former chapel, used more recently as a wash-house.
A long inscription records the benefaction, renovation and alterations (dated
1955): 1698 Ferrand Spence; 1872 Agnes Varditt Niven; 1955 Jessie Blossom Coulthurst
of Gargrave.


Listing NGR: SD9753149672

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.